What will remove mortar from flagstone edging of pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HI,
Well I have finally gotten to the completion of the edging of my pond! I mortared in flagstone around the edging of my pond and there are some thin smears of dried mortar on the stone. I have some goldfish in the pond and don't want to hurt them by applying a product that is too toxic. What can I use to clean the mortar off of the stone? Appreciate any help you can offer!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You will only be able to scrape/chip off the mortar for the least amount of damage. The bond will not be that strong on flagstone. They make chemicals but they are all too strong to use near a pond. If you still have some staining on the stones try coca cola and a scrub brush. Rinse off when done. That will be the safest acid you can use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
You will only be able to scrape/chip off the mortar for the least amount of damage. The bond will not be that strong on flagstone. They make chemicals but they are all too strong to use near a pond. If you still have some staining on the stones try coca cola and a scrub brush. Rinse off when done. That will be the safest acid you can use.

Once you chip the coarse mortar off, you can then use some very coarse sandpaper ( maybe 80 to 120 grit ). It'll make some dust, but mortar is soft, so it should sand away fairly easily if your flagstone is nice and flat.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can use muratic acid at a concentration of 4 parts water to one part acid. ALWAYS add the acid to the water, DO NOT add water to acid. Use rubber gloves and apply with a scrubby pad to the area. let sit for 1-2 minutes then scrub clean and rinse away from the pond. Very diluted amounts will not harm the fish but do keep close tabs on your PH. Acid will drop the ph if to much get's in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Muriatic acid does work great for masonry clean up, I have used it a lot but be very careful using it. I would use eye and skin protection. I agree with Larkin about the ph. Try the coke first you will be surprised how well it does.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Vinegar, maybe? I've been working with cement & concrete a lot over the past month. I noticed one day that I couldn't get the buttons on my watch to punch in from getting the stuff stuck on it and in it -- and I use it a lot to time water changes, so.....

Got the idea to soak it in vinegar for a little while, and it worked! Dissolved the cement stuck in the buttons and cleaned it off my watch & strap.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Vinegar, maybe? I've been working with cement & concrete a lot over the past month. I noticed one day that I couldn't get the buttons on my watch to punch in from getting the stuff stuck on it and in it -- and I use it a lot to time water changes, so.....

Got the idea to soak it in vinegar for a little while, and it worked! Dissolved the cement stuck in the buttons and cleaned it off my watch & strap.
Vinegar (white vinegar) will work too but you must be very careful with the grass and plants in the area, it is also used as a weed killer. Vinegar will also lower the PH

Ask a Question