What would cause hair or blanket algae to die?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi all
I had sting algae develop in my stream and waterfall to a point you could not see any of the stream bed or the surface of any rocks in my waterfall. I pulled a little off one day but in the process pieces wound up in the pond floating around. In the next two weeks or so all the algae in the stream and on the rocks disappeared. Great. But then the water in the pond went green. Im guessing the algae that died fed the algae bloom in the pond. All parameters are good. PH is on high end 8.6 to 9.0. KH 150 Ammonia 0 to 0.25 Nitrite 0 Phosphate 0.25 Don't overfeed. Pond gets a lot of sun. Have some plants but not enough to make a difference yet. any ideas why the die off? Any ideas how to clear water without chemicals or a UV? some say barley straw?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you answered your own question. Maybe the string algae died off because of a lack of nutrients, but then that dead material spawned the new algae bloom.....? IDK, just a guess.

Ask a Question