What would you do if you were given....

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Yesterday my boss noticed the attached pic of my pond as my walpaper, and got all chatty. I guess he use to have a few ponds at his last home. However he now has moved and has two small preformed ponds that he gave me. Each has its own pump and filter, but I am not sure if I want to use the pumps. He said something about making sure they are oiled before I put them in the pond and I dont really want to deal with that.

So attached is a pic he gave me of the ponds. The two are exactly the same. From what he tells me, they are about 4X7ft and 180Gallons. But his estimates seem a little off because they look deeper than an average of a foot, and from my calculations 4x7x1x7.5 would be over 200 gallons. And from the pic, it looks like it is atleast a foot around the edge and two feet in the deep sections. Anyway, it doesnt matter, they are free.

So now what do I do with these. Or what would you do with them?

Be creative, or post pics of what you have that might be fun to build. Cheaper the better. Free was almost to expensive... HA

Attachments

• Ponds.jpg
    Ponds.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, I would make one just a plant pond. Like a couple of lotus. Some plants to cover the surface, like hyacinths, or duckweed.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Make one into a QT! Maybe one as a baby tank, or as Sunshine says, into a plant pond. Or froggy pond! The possibilities are endless.

I would sink them next to my existing pond, add water bridges and make it into a 3 pond system!

Reaction score
I had a couple ponds about like that and got rid of them both when I dug my bigger pond. The only use I had for them was quaranteen or trying to grow plants at different depth to see how they did there. I also ended up putting fish in them to thin the herd in my bigger pond. I got rid of them because i knew they were to shallow for a winter here so there was no point burying them and a tub shaped like that does not hold up well above ground. I also found I preferred to focus all my pond time on my main pond. Having multiple meant each received less attention than deserved or it became more of a chore than a hobby. I do think they would make a good bog filter for someone who had the space.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would make them both bogs, no pumps (maybe a small solar pump just for a little wtaer movement) or filters. Just bury them, add kitty litter, a bunch of plants and water. With the typical arid AZ landscaping, two bogs with wonderful tropical water plants placed around your beautiful pond would look wonderful and be very low maintence. Just top off the water every so often. With almost 100 percent plant coverage the water would stay filtered. It would also give wildlife a place to hang out and escape the dry heat :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that is a tetra in pond filter and those pumps that come with it have no oil .My first pond in 4 pics together and wish I had kept it in and working

Attachments

• murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The standard pre-forms that I have seen are actually 18 inches deep, and the shelf is at 9 inches. Rough-guessing by the shape of the pond, if the top half is 75% of the volume of a full 4x7 rectangle, and the bottom half is about 40%, I come up with right at 180 gallons.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put my two preforms into the pond water loop, the frogs, tads, dragon flies love them, a stray fish ends up there now and then.
A pita to dig in and get level, but doing good now.

DSC06028.JPG

Ask a Question