what would you get?

Reaction score
I found a local guy selling some pond plants, beside a lily these are my options.
Large yerba mansa plant with runners
bare root portion of mare's tail
Water sedge starter plant
Pink Bells starter plant
unrooted cuttings of Water Willow
bare root starter portion of Parrot's Feather

I am looking to get something for in the pond and in my filter both. I tried researching but there is to much info sometimes, I want something that will do well in a new pond. I tested the water last night and the ammonia was at .50. No fish yet, just refilled it Sunday morning.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water willow is more of a bog plant, wet soil, just the roots in water, pretty purple flowers. Parrots Feather is good, sedge is a good filtering plant, a bog or stuck in rocks plant. The others I don't know about.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will probably go with the Parrots Feather and sedge then. Has anyone plucked anything from an actual stream or creek and used in there ponds? We have a green belt at the end of the road I live on I was thinking of walking and see if I could find anything, its all man made though so not sure what i could possibly find.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Get the pink bells too. They come in purple and pink I know of, will grow great as a bog plant, nestled in rocks along the edge, or just planted in a area that gets a good amount of water in regular soil.

Reaction score
So I ended up getting everything except the yerba mansa, I got a big lily instead, and also some water lettice. Will all these plants grow ok unpotted right in the top of the filter? I have about 3" of lava rock i just put them in there and covered the roots with stones. will they do ok like this? The water sedge and one of the other ones i repotted in larger pots and set on my shelf but they pretty deep in there, I hope that will be ok also. See ny other thread in the photography section for some pictures "getting close to done".

Reaction score
sentrek said:
Has anyone plucked anything from an actual stream or creek and used in there ponds? We have a green belt at the end of the road I live on I was thinking of walking and see if I could find anything, its all man made though so not sure what i could possibly find.
Yellow water iris
Spadderdock
Bullrush
Cattail
Watercress
Duckweed
are some of the pond plants native to my area that I have collected and put in my ponds, although I have a few more that I have I don't know the names of. I much prefer collecting plants from the wild to buying them in the store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads