What would you improve?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently considering an upgrade to GPF, adding some extra features and other changes :).

I'd be really interested in hearing what you'd like to see if you were able to add/change things on the site. Even if it's something quite general, like making it easier to upload images etc...

You can reply here or let me know via PM - either is fine :D

I'd be really grateful for any thoughts!

Ideas so far:
  • Easier Image Uploading (done in new software)
  • Alerts when quoted in thread (done in new software)
  • Edit timeout increased (should be possible)
  • Top-reads sticky (to do)
  • Introduction thread incentive
  • Consider Thanks/Like/Reputation setup
  • Mobile App

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would really like to see a way to mention another member in a post and they get notified of the mention.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
fishin4cars said:
I would really like to see a way to mention another member in a post and they get notified of the mention.

Now that's an interesting idea indeed... I don't know if it's technically possible to do that, but I'll add this to this list as it may be possible to custom code.

Added to the list!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ian, I know this is completely a different layout. But this is a site I use everyday, and have been for Many years. I also moderated here and it's gone through several different changes and servers through the years. Might give you some ideas although it's not pond related you can see there are some great options that Franklin has added over time. I'm on here as fishin4cars too if you want to look my stats or what ever up.
http://diecastcrazy.com/community/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Easier photo uploads!

It would be nice to have a sticky set up where if a member posts a good thought, advice on something related to building a pond, another member could cut and paste it there. The moderators could remove anything they did not think belongs there. To keep it clean it would need watching over.

But I would also have the stickies be specific, ie plumbing, filter, liner etc

A little longer time out period for edits, in looking up things it times out on me quite often

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
addy1 said:
Easier photo uploads!

It would be nice to have a sticky set up where if a member posts a good thought, advice on something related to building a pond, another member could cut and paste it there. The moderators could remove anything they did not think belongs there. To keep it clean it would need watching over.

But I would also have the stickies be specific, ie plumbing, filter, liner etc

Easier photo uploads are top of the list :D. In fact, I've been working on this very thing for a couple of days.

I like the idea of a "top reads" type thread, listing good threads to read on specific topics. I'll add this to the list too :)

I'll see what can be done about the post editing too. I think the new software I'm looking at also has an "auto save" feature in case there are problems posting :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Good points Addy, yes, the editing for the original poster needs to be longer. And I was trying to think about how to add in the sticky's, there are several good topics that need to be stickied that haven't been and would be VERY useful to new members starting ponds and starting to use the forum.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Good points Addy, yes, the editing for the original poster needs to be longer. And I was trying to think about how to add in the sticky's, there are several good topics that need to be stickied that haven't been and would be VERY useful to new members starting ponds and starting to use the forum.

It would save a lot of ?'s which are not bad, but get tired of retyping the answers. If the threads were easier to find, not lost in all the threads, a link could be copied to the posters ?'s to them to read.

I was also thinking of not just having the entire thread, but just some of the fixes members post, a lot of good ideas and they get lost. A piece of a thread: like fixing a plumbing issue,..........someone would post..........use pl xxx to seal,,,,,,,,,,use shower drain .............etc just that one comment in a fix it thread about plumbing. And best if no one can post replies, just the fix it thoughts. Hope that makes sense.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Is there a way to make it easier for new members to have to introduce themselves before they start posting so we don't have to make them feel bad by constantly reminding them to do so before we can answer their questions? Sometimes I think they take offense to being ordered to go and introduce themselves before we will respond to them.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
JW, that is being addressed. I was just talking to Ian about that and that is one thing he is really working on along with the posting pics. Should be seeing some changes in the near future for the better so please keep the suggestions coming, we want feedback from all the members so we can make changes for the better.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
Is there a way to make it easier for new members to have to introduce themselves before they start posting so we don't have to make them feel bad by constantly reminding them to do so before we can answer their questions? Sometimes I think they take offense to being ordered to go and introduce themselves before we will respond to them.

Totally agree, I feel sorry for them, it is easy to see the newbies to ponds and the newbie to ponds goes right there.................. or answer their ? and just suggest they introduce themselves.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
j.w said:

Yes, as fishin4cars says I'm working on this too :). I agree that it doesn't look great having constant reminders, so we'll work on a way of incentivising posting an introduction thread - that way we won't have to remind them and they'll be strongly encouraged to post there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Ian, I think some have never come back, when asked to intro themselves esp when their original thread has been moved, to intro, they probably can not find it again.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If I move one I send them a PM and a link to it. I also tell them what is going on. Most that I do this way usually have no problem and keep posting. But it is time consuming.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
If I move one I send them a PM and a link to it. I also tell them what is going on. Most that I do this way usually have no problem and keep posting. But it is time consuming.

good, I just noticed a few seemed to poof

Ask a Question