Whatcha doing today?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gemma, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Gemma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Might be it is a real pretty deep purple. Can't find a photo of it, got it somewhere.................

addy1, Jan 10, 2018
    MoonShadows likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

JamieB

Out here, I could do with some that hard core self propagate, the grass and crap elm are taking over. The cluster of tiger lilies does, and I need to dig them all up and move them. I want to move all the bulbs into the center island of the drive, and just cover it in flowers.

JamieB, Jan 10, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

Lisak1

Butterfly bushes are notoriously aggressive and invasive in some areas. Ours die back every winter, but I would be cautious about planting them if they didn't. The butterflies do love them, but I read somewhere that they aren't good for them... wish I could remember why! Off to do some research!

Lisak1, Jan 10, 2018
  4. Gemma

JamieB

So today we picked up a load, hauled it a ways, passed it to the boss to haul cause dads heart started acting up. On the way home, my sister called, she’s due this weekend, but the scan today found her placenta has been failing, and she’s been loosing amniotic fluid. So they will induce her starting tonight. It’s almost the 1 yr anniversary of my stepmoms death, Dad is depressed, his heart is acting up, I’m not ready for him to keel over yet! I’ve got plans darn it! Like he’s supposed to walk me down the isle! So if I go offline for an extended period of time, y’all will know I’m just dealing with family health crisis.

JamieB, Jan 10, 2018
    addy1, sissy and j.w like this.
  5. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Hope things get better for you and your family @JamieB

j.w, Jan 10, 2018
  6. Gemma

sissy sissy

Hope t gets better Jamieb because it sure can't get worse .I know I lost both my mom and dad when I was pregnant with my second son .So sending all my hopes and prayers your way .

sissy, Jan 10, 2018
  7. Gemma

JamieB

Thank you guys. I’m staying up in hopes to hear about the new baby, and to check on Dad, and avoid the flu ridden bed! Seeing as I’ve kicked him out of bed the past two nights cause I was tossing and turning too much for him, it’s only fair to let him have the bed tonight! I got him soup, crackers, meds, and ginger ale.

JamieB, Jan 11, 2018
    j.w and Gemma like this.
  8. Gemma

MoonShadows The Jam Man

@JamieB Keeping you, your sister and dad in thoughts and prayers.

MoonShadows, Jan 11, 2018
  9. Gemma

Gemma

Gemma, Jan 11, 2018
  10. Gemma

Gemma

Today is a sad day for me!
    Right before the pond started icing over, I watched my fish sink to the bottom from my kitchen window, I didn't realize one of them was missing, he was caught in the skimmer box:(
    Sometime they go in and come out on their own, but I'm thinking he got too large to manage ....how could I forget to check in there...and how could I not realize a fish that bright is missing...
    ......I feel so guilty right now:cry:

Gemma, Jan 11, 2018
  11. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

So sorry @Gemma and these things do happen. When I moved my fish from my 1st pond to my 2nd I drained the old pond to be able to get all the fish out easier. I heard this funny noise now and then while standing in the pond scooping fish out. I kept looking all around trying to figure out what it was. I did not know till the next day that the noise was fish flopping around in between the rocks on the short pond ledge. I had no idea they could squeeze in those small cracks.They had swam in there to escape all the stuff I was doing and several of them died. I was mortified and still feel guilty when I think about it. .

j.w, Jan 11, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  12. Gemma

JamieB

The north wind came roaring in and chased the warmer weather we had away last night. I don’t think I’ll see my fish for a few mo the, except the small ones I’m raising inside. They are growing slowly, I wonder if I need to give them more flakes more often or what. I’d guess they’ve tripled or quadrupled in size since I brought them in. The water is cool, but not too cold.

JamieB, Jan 11, 2018
  13. Gemma

Gemma

Thanks! I think I'm feeling a lot like you must have felt that day

Gemma, Jan 11, 2018
    j.w likes this.
  14. Gemma

Angel

last winter or 2 ago i lost 70% due to miss timed netting for leaves. had to see any animal die but live and learn i guess

Angel, Jan 11, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  15. Gemma

JamieB

Wow, this thread has kinda died off!
    I’m stripping an old bread box, and I noticed a very pretty red streak in the wood. So I think I’ll break out my art brushes to accent the wood grain with different stain colors before I seal it. Letting the stripper work now, it’s on it’s sec coat. Then I’ll wash it, let it dry, and start staining!

JamieB, Jan 20, 2018
    j.w and addy1 like this.
  16. Gemma

JamieB

8BFB1707-6F2F-4EDE-9F0A-EB17991A5F9A.jpeg By the handle is the only streak I see that is that red. Sad. I’ll see what colors of stain we have laying around, and try to accent the grain, giving it a dash more contrast, but still look natural.

Attached Files:

JamieB, Jan 20, 2018
    j.w, Gemma and sissy like this.
  17. Gemma

sissy sissy

nice bread box and looks homemade and some one put lots of love into it

sissy, Jan 20, 2018
  18. Gemma

JamieB

Yes. It had a lot of dirt and grime, but not much stain or sealer left. The wood is darker than I expected, I just finished washing it, letting it dry now so I’ll see better just what color it will be. Beautiful wood grain, solid wood on it. I love to take well made, solid wood, and make them better. 90% of the time, I prefer the look of wood to paint.

JamieB, Jan 21, 2018
    j.w and sissy like this.
  19. Gemma

JamieB

Clean and mostly dry. It needs to finish drying completely before I stain it, but here it is, with the stain containers inside it. The lovely red streak is hidden now it’s dry. Close up of the screws as well. I’ll let it dry all night, then check it tomorrow. If it’s ready, I’ll start! I think I’ll follow the grain, alternating colors for each layer of wood in the grain where I can.

Attached Files:

JamieB, Jan 21, 2018
    j.w and Gemma like this.
  20. Gemma

Gemma

@JamieB you're doing a great job restoring that bread box! :)

Gemma, Jan 21, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question