Whatcha doing today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What kind of media will you be using, and where will you be getting your moss from? I’m currently planning on just gathering wild moss, probably try growing it on leaf litter compost, with a good dose of fish emulsion, and hope it fills in over time. By breaking clumps into nickel sized clusters, I hope to cover enough area, and get a mix of mosses for visual interest.
I've used coco coir as a base and let the edge dangle in the water, which wicks up moisture for whatever you attach. I've used this with sedum varieties. I imagine it would work with other plants. And what's nice about coco coir is that over time, it'll fray and look much more natural.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I try to duplicate what ever the moss i get it is found a home similar to where i found it, And i don't go crazy with setting it in leaf litter as i believe the fishy water and the leaves just like our bogs and no soil will get the nutrients out of the water. So far so good some moss has done better in one area then does another. i have found all types i believe i read there is in the hundreds of types of mosses out there , one of my favorites is the sphagnum moss. x mass moss yes i dared say x mass . I also found one moss that was in a small narrow drain tile along the road that was in full sun growing in a fast flowing water channel shallow but it was moving i put it along side my sream and it grew 10 times the size it was when i planted it and it is in full sun but it seems the more water it has full sun is not a problem i have a shot of it in the blog for my build. its on page 47 ,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll be hunting mosses soon, so I can try growing them into larger mats. Most around here seem to like soil that’s wet. This area around my house has very little moss, so I’ll have to go hunt other locations to find it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i get moss on my bog rocks, grows like a mat. When spring cleaning I try not to rake it out.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought a diecast last week and it arrived today. :) The first Indycar in my collection. It's the 2019 Indy 500 winning car. Wouldn't mind having a diecast from every major racing series eventually. I have a hard time paying $10 for a small car, but they're pretty cool.

IMG_6100 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Still chilly today so set up another dozen lily pots to plant ones from stock tanks.View attachment 137244
@mrsclem have you ever seen how your koi react (via underwater camera) around these? I thought about doing something similar but with smaller mesh. I thought maybe the larger, as you're using, would still allow the koi to get at any visible roots and/or new growth. I can see the larger ones being discouraged, esp with how you've domed the mesh, but wonder about the immature koi. Are any of your cams trained on your wlily pots to record their behavior?

Also, am I seeing ~3" mesh or something smaller in your pic? I have a rather flimsy version of 3" and would need something stiffer, I imagine, as you're using to make the 'dome' part.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some of them will grab leaves and pull the roots out but the roots are safe with the small mesh. I tried the snow fence with 1 1/2" mesh- roots pulled completely out and destroyed. When I get the plants repotted, the mesh will be tight across the top of the pan. The little guys don't seem interested, amazing since most of them are 8-12"! Also, no other plants in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some of them will grab leaves and pull the roots out but the roots are safe with the small mesh. I tried the snow fence with 1 1/2" mesh- roots pulled completely out and destroyed. When I get the plants repotted, the mesh will be tight across the top of the pan. The little guys don't seem interested, amazing since most of them are 8-12"! Also, no other plants in the pond.
so you're using the rigid 1" poultry netting? I have some of that...I was worried the leaves couldn't get out. No problem this way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use 1 " fencing....not sure if it's deer fencing or poultry fencing. My koi seem to leave the pans alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use 1 " fencing....not sure if it's deer fencing or poultry fencing. My koi seem to leave the pans alone.
Tula; the leaves don't get caught inside the net dome? How far above the tuber would you say your fencing is? And is it stretched tight or is it loose?

Ask a Question