What's going on under the ice in your pond

Reaction score
It's turned super cold here in Iowa. I've always wondered exactly what happens under the ice in my pond. This article is a great source of information the Winter effect on koi, goldfish and ponds. Written by Richard Carlson and published by AKCA answers some of the most basic pond questions such as: how to prepare the pond, immune system changes, toxic gases, ammonia and aeromonas bacteria problems. Simple tips on feeding and preparing your filters can make a world of difference to your fish. Visit Http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/1566246/page/902636 !Http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/1566246/page/902636to view the entire article. Stay warm and wish for Spring

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the interesting article :)

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi,

Good information, thanks. I have my first in ground molded pond installed last fall, (September). It is 365 gallons with a15 gallon filter reservor plumbed into and next the pond where it works well and is out of site under a large shell type plastic rock. I was concerned about the pond freezing over with those cold snaps we get here in the northwest, (Tacoma).

A friend suggested using submersable aquarium heater. So I put a 150 watt aquarium heater in the reservor. It works great and it never let the water temp. drop below 40 degrees F, or above 50 degrees F. It did create big a problem with water evaporation. About every other day I had to add a 5 gallon bucket of water. So I drew only hot water into the bucket from the kitchen tap, and then I would add dechorinater to the hot water. Then I would set it aside indoors until I needed to add more water to the pond.

I have a friend Auburn, WA. that has a large pond about 1000 gollans in her back yard, and she uses a commercial pond heater during the winter months that she says works good.

Hope this works for someone else with the same concern about freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's turned super cold here in Iowa. I've always wondered exactly what happens under the ice in my pond. This article is a great source of information the Winter effect on koi, goldfish and ponds. Written by Richard Carlson and published by AKCA answers some of the most basic pond questions such as: how to prepare the pond, immune system changes, toxic gases, ammonia and aeromonas bacteria problems. Simple tips on feeding and preparing your filters can make a world of difference to your fish. Visit Http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/1566246/page/902636 !Http://www.richdeer3pondsupplies.com/site/1566246/page/902636to view the entire article. Stay warm and wish for Spring
Ty great info for me being new!!

Ask a Question