What's my fish? Tiny fast moving silver chap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looked up a red finned shiner on Wikipedia and Lisak1 I think you may well be right! Seems to match the description really well. Thanks so much.

The local fish store looked completely baffled when I started trying to describe this fish, so I might spare him the further humiliation of being dragged around in a bag!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know much about red finned shiners? I have just read on the Web that they shouldn't be kept with goldfish as they fin nip. Do I need to separate them?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you are right. Just keep an eye on it I guess. There is lots of plants and things to eat instead of each other!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-10-19_9-41-59.gif
@LuluMC
Pretty fish and sound like you found your answer :joyful:

I just read some about them and says they only get a to 8.9CM (3&1/2 inches) and need warmer water around 20C (68F) and only live for 3 years and spawn only once because of there short life span and they don't reach maturity till 2 or 3 yrs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmmm, maybe they aren't the same afterall? These blighters have been going strong for at least 4 years and had no problem with last winter's "beast from the east". If they only live for 3 years that would actually solve my overstocked pond issue!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed, but wouldn't they be every bit as big as the goldfish? These fish haven't grown for years and they are mature/ breeding

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed, but wouldn't they be every bit as big as the goldfish? These fish haven't grown for years and they are mature/ breeding
By what they show on the net the rudd is a decent sized fish, a big goldfish size. Yours sure look like that.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Not necessarily, fish grow at different rates even the same species in the same environment. Reaching breeding age/maturity doesn’t mean they are fully grown. The fish may be growing very slowly, so it appears they aren’t growing.

Ask a Question