Whats my next step for winterizing outside pond

Reaction score
Getting ready for winter and wondering about the schedule for shutting down my outside pond. 3400 gallons with Aqua II system and several aerators have stopped feeding as weather here is crazy 70 one day and 45 the next, so no feeding. Still have net over the pond as the leaves are not quite finished and want to go into the winter months with the pond as clean as possible. Can I run my filter system all winter? The water is returned to pond by a waterfall and unless it freezes solid I want to leave it on. If I were to cut filter off that would only leave aerators on? Oxygen would probably be ok, but I just not sure.

Inside QT tanks are up and running and seem to be about half way through cycle. Have several fish in each to get filters going. Sure am going to miss the Boys in the outside pond, I can see them and they make me feel guilty when I dont feed them. I just want them to come through this winter in good shape.

So, what do I do with the systems on the pond for winter?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I run mine and I just float my pond heater above the pump .I use microblift for spring and fall it seems to help .I just ordered more from pet mountain it was on sale and 49 dollar free shipping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't run my filter through the winter. I try to get the pond as clean and debris free as possible, do a nice water change and use Microbe Lift. I run some airstones and my pond deicer.

I'm always happy to start up my filter in March! Kim

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I clean as much debris as possible like the others, do a big water change (that was done a few weeks ago), unplug my pumps, leave them in the pond, unhook my hoses and pull them from the pond (just leave them resting on the ground just outside the pond) and keep my air stones going all winter.

The reason I pull my hoses is I have found they get filled with blood worms over the summer so I pull and drain the hoses to kill them off since they decrease water flow.

The reason I don't leave my pumps running is I don't want to deal with any malfunctions that may occur when it is 10 degrees outside in January. Fish couldn't care less either way as they are sleeping under the ice all winter.

I am likely going to clean the last of the debris this weekend and shut it down before it gets too cold.

I start it all back up in March.

When fish aren't eating, they aren't producing waste so the need for filtration during the coldest months is not needed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess it all depends on the kind of weather you get and no one really knows what old man winter has in store for us this year .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
By my way of thinking the #1 thing to do is to make sure you do not get a toxic gas buildup in the water. A simple bubbler to keep the water moving and a small bit ice free is all it takes. The water moving across the open area will expel toxic gas and absorb oxygen.

As others have mentioned where you live makes a difference. I have not used heaters because my ponds have been too big. It has not been a problem maybe because of the large size.

The temperature range between 47F and 62F is know as Aeromonas Alley. If you can do anything to shorten the time you pond is within this range it is a help to the fish.

Reaction score
Sharon Goode said:
Getting ready for winter and wondering about the schedule for shutting down my outside pond. 3400 gallons with Aqua II system and several aerators have stopped feeding as weather here is crazy 70 one day and 45 the next, so no feeding. Still have net over the pond as the leaves are not quite finished and want to go into the winter months with the pond as clean as possible. Can I run my filter system all winter? The water is returned to pond by a waterfall and unless it freezes solid I want to leave it on. If I were to cut filter off that would only leave aerators on? Oxygen would probably be ok, but I just not sure.

Inside QT tanks are up and running and seem to be about half way through cycle. Have several fish in each to get filters going. Sure am going to miss the Boys in the outside pond, I can see them and they make me feel guilty when I dont feed them. I just want them to come through this winter in good shape.

So, what do I do with the systems on the pond for winter?
I would not base feeding on outside temperature. It doesn't really matter. I would base it on water temperature. The fish are in the water. Not the air around the water.

You can run your system all Winter if you want to but what would be the reason for doing so? The fish arent eating much so they aren't pooping much. They are also in a hybernation like state so their breathing slows down as well. This amounts to a lot less solid waste and ammonia being produced. Your fish will not appreciate the pull caused by the pump, or the current caused by the waterfall return. They are at the bottom trying to do nothing at all. Another reason I turn off my filters that return as a waterfall is because exposing the water to the cold air cools the water more than I want it too. Do you really want to take your 40 degree water and expost it to 0 degree air more than you need too? This could cause the water to cool to below it's normal freezing point, and is not good for the fish. I feel the same way about air. Why would you want to introduce 0 degree air into a 40 degree pond? I would not want to do that.

Cold water has a higher oxygen content than warm water. Combine that with the fact that the fish are consuming less oxygen and you will be more than OK turning off your main pumps and just running air. But as I previously noted, I prefer to not run air. Last Winter all I ran in my 1600 gallon pond was a 300 gph water pump that is shot straight towards the surface. It kept a hole open all Winter (Im in Michigan). I did not lose any fish. I do believe it costs a bit more to run a water pump than an air pump, but i do go from a 1300 gph pump to a 300 gph pump so I guess I save a few cents.

Personally, if I were you, I would shut down almost every thing. I am going to leave my pump and hoses in the bottom of the pond all Winter. My 300 gph pump will be set at a depth of 18" and has an extension that ejects the water about 6" from the surface. It creates and nice volcano effect and the water stays open. My 2 cents.

Reaction score
Dieselplowe.....What you say makes very good sense. I do go by water temps to cut off feeding and our weather has been on a crazy pattern......Some days its is 70 come days it it 40, so I used my water thermometer to judge and stop feeding at 55 degrees. I can see where running pumps and moving vast amounts of water would lower temps and make the fish work harder to stay as still as possible. Will just run aerators and let them rest this winter......As always, thanks for the info....

Reaction score
Cold here down into 20's at night, 30 in day time....Cut off my waterfall but am running two spitters for oxygen. My pond is still at 40 degrees and all water tests are good. Water is so clear I can see fish clearly on the bottom,

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may want to kill the spitters and just use an aerator or just the pump going in the pond .Spitters could crack when frozen and empty your pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We run our filters throughout the winter months but reduce aeration al our filters Sequence 32" vortrex style filters with differing media were cleaned just prior to the cold and are fully mature as is the biofilter, we dont turn off the air on any of these .
Everything from pond to filter housing is fully insulated and the pond is covered by polycarbonate sheeting.
This may go against all what you have heard but we also do 30% water changes throughout trickling in the water via a dechlorinator unit using the ambient temperature of the pond to warm the water entering.
If done correctly you will loose nothing we did a water change today starting at 09:30 am temperature 9.5c and finished at 16:00 pm with a temperture of 9.5c
This is british koi proceedure throughout the winter months .

Dave

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I leave my pumps running all winter. My waterfall and my bog pump are left running to make sure there is open water for gas exchange. My pond is just a bit over 3 foot deep and the waterfall isn't in the deep end, its more in the middle where the water is around 1 1/2 foot deep. We got pretty cold last winter and only had a handful of days where there was a ice shell on the waterfall. Didn't loose any fish last year and they all were healthy and ready to eat when spring got here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think it will all depend on what old man winter has in store for us .Winter is not here yet so cross your fingers your toes and your eyes and hope for the best

Reaction score
Winter is on the way to the Ozarks. The advisories just went up for an ice storm followed by snow starting Thursday. Temps are expected to be in the low teens with below zero wind chills. Power outages are not uncommon here when the weather gets this nasty. I may learn how my pond does with nothing running. I'm not even sure I could get to it in a bad ice storm. Seems this weekend I'll have a bunch of Schrodinger's koi.

Ask a Question