What's the best filter/pump system for my pond?

Reaction score
My pond is about 160 gallons and consist of preformed two pieces (an upper flowing into a lower with a pump to recirculate the water). It was in an area in our backyard that received direct sunlight all day and I had a constant problem with algea and fish dying. So I relocated it about a month ago to a different area where it is shaded for at least half a day thinking it may help reduce the algea but within a couple of weeks, the water was green and murky again and you can't see in it at all. It currently has no fish in it until a get this under control. I'm looking for recommendations on what is the best size, brand, etc. bio filter for my application. Right now I'm running the pump that came with the pond kit. I believe it's a small pro flo (not sure of the model though, it's from Lowes) but it's a combo filter, pump & fountain and b/c the filter is so small, it quickly gets clogged.

lynnsisko

Lynn mucking about
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm wondering if your pond is over heating. Moving it to the shade was a good idea. I had green water at first, then I used barley pellets. They sell them in most pond supply stores or catalogs. I use to use a very fine filter pad with my pond and cleaned it twice a day. A lot of work, but it really cleaned it up.

Ask a Question