WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN......

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A bog in most cases is a up-flow gravel and veggie filter combined, A veggie filter has water flowing through floating plants or plants that are not anchored in gravel, a up flow gravel filter is usually done in a drum or storage container and usually doesn't have plant assist. BUT all can have variations since they are quite often all DIY set ups if that makes any sense.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
A bog is all of those rolled into one. A bog is a up flow gravel filter with plants helping filter the water and eating the gunk. My bog plants took off like mad this summer when I got my bog finished.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, the bog is "all in one" like spandex pants, except prettier. ;)

Standalone up-flow gravel filters are a bit fancier like the S&G that will typically have better and finer filter medium than a bog and are purged every week or so due to all of the solid waste it grabs. Bogs are generally much larger, mainly uses gravel, and rarely, if ever, is purged.

Veggie filters are setup like a hydroponic garden without the medium and better circulation, which allows more air to the roots, thus allowing a more massive root system so the plants can absorb much more waste. "veggie filter" is often used as a slang meaning any type of filter that has plants in it.

Ask a Question