whats the secret

Reaction score
What is the secret to get my koi to breed.I have 13 12-16in koi in my pond and ive had them about 6 yrs.I have never seen them lay eggs.Is there something I should be putting in the pond to help them along.These are before and after pics of the pond

Attachments

• SDC10510.jpg
    SDC10510.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 343
  • SDC10466.jpg
    SDC10466.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 376

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
females this time of year...theres no mistaking a female full of eggs...they look like they'll burst!! but generally the males are long and lean whereas the female are more rounded or robust looking

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Maybe they are all gay! LOL
Males are torpedo shaped and females have a distinct round bulge on their sides. Under 10" this is not obvious. And as Koiguy pointed out the female with eggs looks like she will soon burst.
Nearly all the Koi used in photo shoots are females without eggs. If you look at the calendars that some Koi dealers produce, as you turn the pages, you will see what I mean.
Some of the Koi sites that offer Koi for shipping have good examples to look at. These are always identified as male or female.

Ask a Question