Whats your dream Pond if you were to do it all over again

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by GBBUDD, Dec 24, 2017.

1. GBBUDD

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

not funny at all but shows your priorities are in order...:p

brokensword, Jan 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. GBBUDD

do some research on those 'fish towers' as they can be a pita to clean (algae will form quickly and end your viewing pleasure).

brokensword, Jan 2, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. GBBUDD

GBBUDD

Magnetic scraper with a razor blade yes out doors in the sun will require more cleanings but to see peoples faces as they look out over the water garden and to see fish looking back between some plants PRICELESS

GBBUDD, Jan 2, 2018
  4. GBBUDD

good luck with that; be interesting to see how long you keep up the maintenance. You'll note no one on this forum (that I can remember) has one and it's for a reason; the novelty wears off quickly. That look on my face as I sit back in my lounge chair, by the side of the pond with drink in hand, and consider how often a fish tower has to be cleaned? Priceless...

brokensword, Jan 2, 2018
  5. GBBUDD

bentaz

I have always wanted to build a large square two story house, like a big square donut.
    The inside of the donut down stairs would be a massive fish tank that every room looked into and upstairs it would be a pond with basking areas for turtles / freshwater crocodiles. The water return would come back down a glass wall around the bathroom.
    There would be a verandah / deck all the way around the house with an aviary under it going right around the house, with a pond either side of the front and back doors and creek / stream running right round between the ponds.
    Every room would either look into the tank/pond/ skylight or out through the aviary filled with rainforest plants and non destructive birds like finches and doves.
    That's the dream anyway!

bentaz, Jan 31, 2018
  6. GBBUDD

JamieB

Birds poop. A lot! I prefer hookbills, like parrots, cockatiels and budgies, to doves. I’d love an aviary, but I doubt I’ll have one. I’ve gotten away from birds. I’d rescue one in a heart beat, wild or pet. In fact, I’ve rescued both, mostly wild ones recently. My mom and I rescued a pair of cockatiels many years ago, that were in horrible condition, more wild than tame, the female was flat out aggressive until we showed her she was safe. That took almost a year of care. The only time I could handle them with out gloves was to take them into the shower with me. Once the water was on, they were good. The male tamed down first, he’d sit on our shoulders, groom us, give kisses, accept a nice scratch on the neck, the female would sit on the shoulder and groom hair that bothered her, but preferred to be left alone mostly. I miss them.

JamieB, Jan 31, 2018
  7. GBBUDD

sissy sissy

Still prefer pondless .A feature and rocks and water with out all the work of caring for fish .I just could see it now running down my front yard .A couple of bottles of peroxide to keep water clean and a little pool at the bottom for birds and deer .Salt to help the animals .Plants and rocks and noise of water splashing and people driving by and admiring it .I can see it right there .Right on the left side of the tree .I can see it in my minds eye ;) 101_1606.JPG

sissy, Jan 31, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  8. GBBUDD

shiro

I would do a bridge over two ponds with a pass over.

shiro, Feb 4, 2018
  9. GBBUDD

zeuspaul

This thread has me rethinking some of my frog ponds. The native Baja California Tree frogs I cater to only need a small pond for breeding. Other than that they need land based habitat.

Now I think a stream and a small pond would be a better solution than just a pond. I have played a little with the concept. I haven't had much luck feeding a pond with a stream as the water from the stream doesn't make it into the pond. I am not using a liner for the stream. I want the water to penetrate the soil and create a moist environment for the frog habitat. I have had better luck with two water feeds. One for the stream and one for the pond. The stream approaches the pond but doesn't enter it. I can use a short stream liner with rocks at the end of the stream which overlaps the pond for a little water fall.

The water would run five or ten minutes per day once or twice a week depending on temperatures. . It is one-way. There is no electricity available for a pump.

zeuspaul, Feb 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question