What's your favorite fish in your pond and why?

Reaction score
I'm curious to hear about your favorite (yeah, yeah, I know you love 'em all!) and why he/she is the apple of your eye.

If you've got photos of your sweety---even better!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine seams to change year to year
Its all about how the fish looks ...to me

Reaction score
So far its my yellow and black koi....he seems unique.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 522
Reaction score
that's an utsuri. They are one of my favorites, too, nigil. I've been on the hunt for a gin-rin hi utsuri for many years, and I've yet to find one with the perfect blend of black and red/orange to my liking.

My favorite one I've named Big Ben. He is a showa that is probably 14 inches. He is not the prettiest fish in the pond by any means, but he is the most lively. He seems to be the leader of the pack and he knows it, so I admire his personality more than his looks (tho he'd by no means not handsome). He's always the first to grab a bite of food, always the first to get anywhere....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I only have basic goldies, shubs, comets and cats. My favorite is a fish I call Ol' One-Eye. This goldfish has but one good eye, I think he was the victim of an attack from the wild, but survived. He was kind of shy for a very long time and had a hard time finding food so I would feed the fish and wait for him to come by and drop some food just for him. He has gotten a bit larger and is much more outgoing now. He seems to do OK.

Reaction score
Brook Trout...
They would have to be my favorite as they eat everything else and the only ones left at the end of the year... They seem to be particularly fond of goldfish..

rdk

Reaction score
My favorite is named Dark Knight, He is a small goldfish , that is black with a orange face, that is my watch fish, He waits for me to come to the pond ( with food) and signals the others to come out and get it. RDK

Reaction score
Yes, that is how my Big Ben is. He takes a nibble and then everyone else follows. Though I'm starting to think Big Ben might have to be renamed Big Bertha. All of a sudden I've noticed him rounding out. Could be eggs! He's only three years old, so........who knows!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I guess I'm just not one to name my fish, but I do have a favorite female shubunkin. She has all of the calico colors, has good shaped fins, and is quite stout in body shape.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Brook trout in a pond??? Year round?
Yep.... Ponds are stream fed...
We even had a half dozen make a run from the lower pond up to the upper pond heading to parts unknown in an attempt to spawn... It's quite amazing how little water that they can scoot through...
Semper Fi

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your pond must be deep enough to no freeze solid. Like North Dakota, wher I came from it gets coooooooold there.:regular_waving_emot:cold::cold:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chuck Lewis said:
Yep.... Ponds are stream fed...
We even had a half dozen make a run from the lower pond up to the upper pond heading to parts unknown in an attempt to spawn... It's quite amazing how little water that they can scoot through...
Semper Fi

How neat, I had a pond in Colorado right off our porch at 8000 feet. We deepened the stream to make a nice pond, around 15 foot x 10 ft. We had brook trout and even some salmon in it. Stream fed heading down to a lake. That pond had no filtration pumps etc. A real easy one to take care of!

Reaction score
We have a big orange ogon (by big I mean 10inches, we have little fish right now) that all the other fish swim around. We drop food in the pond and they all seem to check with him for promission before heading up to eat. They move when it's his turn to eat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My favorite are my first 2 Auntie Ag and Uncle Bert they are named after a favorite aunt and uncle who are deceased and believe it or not they get along the same way keeping for the most attention.they even fight over who will get fed first .They seem to always stay together

Attachments

• koi and dishwasher 007.jpg
    koi and dishwasher 007.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 477
  • pond 003.jpg
    pond 003.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 445

Ask a Question