JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just curious as to what everyone's favorite pond plant is and if there's a reason why its your favorite. If you want to, post a picture of it, too!

So far, of the ones I've owned, I really like Horsetail Rush (I've heard it called Horsetail and Scouring Rush, but on the tag is was 'Horsetail Rush'.). I like the way it looks; It reminds me of bamboo, and gets a weird head on it. It also grew very nice in the pond and on land. It was actually the first plant I bought for my 400g pond.

DSCN1834.png

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sort of like them all, no real favorites. Now that we are doing bees, anything that produces a bunch of nectar and pollen will be a favorite lol.
like mint lmao, the pond weed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think if I had to just chose one, it would be the dwarf giant papyrus! I divided mine last spring and put one in the pond and one in the ground close to the pond. The one in dirt thrived and grew amazingly well. I was surprised because I assumed the one in the water would have done better. It is a beautiful and unique plant. I received many compliments on it by the people walking by in my neighborhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love pond plant shopping. Wish I could have Tropicals. They have great color.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love pond plant shopping. Wish I could have Tropicals. They have great color.

I'm going to love pond plant shopping this Spring. I found a small pond business about 40 minutes away last summer. We stopped by last year when we were camping near them and they had a really nice selection, though since we were camping at the time we didn't buy any. This year I'm heading out there to get some plants. We also have a few stores in town that have pond plants, but no more than a few types.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The one we had, closed down. There are a few within an hours drive. Love going there, but they can be pricey.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The place we went is way pricey, ilies in the 50-60 dollar range, fish 7 bucks a piece for gf/shubies so no too bad, 3-4 inch in size, pretty ones.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Water lillies! Almost ANY cultivar. Lotus are beautiful, but it gets a little cool around here for them.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lotus start blooming around the same time as hardy waterlilies, when the hardies become heat dormant and don't flower in a hot summer, the lotus keep going. They might quit blooming before the tropical waterlilies quit, though trop lilies keep trying to bloom right up to the first hard freeze

Lotus can be a bit more picky about steady fertilising and tetchy if excessive heat over 95°f cramps their style

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Ask a Question