Whats your go to Dechlor?

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Im getting my shopping list together and starting to place orders for my first pond and just wondering what your go to dechlor is. I saw that Prime from seachem was recommended, but reading reviews on amazon and it seems a lot of people claim that you have to increase the recommended dosage by 3-4x to get it to work. Anybody have those issues or have another brand that works well?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have very heavy chlorine levels, water is undrinkable. I had 2 large koi ponds, 9000+ gallons so I have always used ChrystalClear Vanish. It is a dry powder and a 2 lb container treats 96,000 gallons. Easy to use, I just sprinkle it in where I have the hose running. They also make a Plus version for chloramine treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you referring to Pond Prime? That seems to be a relatively new version and I haven't used that.

The regular Prime has been used for years with no issues. I have always used Safe, which is the powdered form of Prime. It's less expensive for use in ponds than the liquid.

Another plus is that Prime and Safe also bind ammonia and nitrite for 48 hours at a go. It's very useful if you have problems there or if you are cycling a pond with fish in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't really use dechlor anymore either. Our municipal water supply contains chlorine but no chloramines, so I don't worry when I have to top off the pond with a small amount of water. If I were filling a pond, I would just let the water sit and let it dissipate. But I would imagine any of the dechlor products would do what they are sold to do, so I doubt you can go wrong with choosing any one of them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought a big bottle of API Pond dechlor only. Cheapest you can find. I have chloramines, but a tiny bit of ammonia which I let dissipate before I put in a few fish was actually kind of a good thing. It was a mini cycle. Now I don’t worry, I top off with my city water.

Ask a Question