Whats your opinion?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have decided to "refresh" the plants around the outside edges of my pond. (I have removed all of the grasses, etc.) I have not decided what I am going to plant to replace the items I removed before mulching, etc. I live in PA and the pond edge is on a bank. Any thoughts or suggestions? I thought I would reach out for some opinions. Thanks!
IMG_7708.jpg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Iris are one of my favorite, and they can go inside and outside the pond, really tying the landscape together.

I also love creeping Jenny, once again, it grows inside and outside the pond, making for a very nice natural edge.

I just looked again and it looks like you already have both of those, but some more can’t hurt!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do day lillies grow well in PA? I have used them everywhere and they are very forgiving, as well as they require very little care. Once the plants bush out, the greenery lasts all season, and is attractive in itself. Also, once established, they really fill out and fill in the area. They come in different heights, so you could potentially “layer” them. They also come in a gazillion beautiful colors and some flowers bloom at different parts of the year, so you could have a nice long bloom season. But I live in Louisiana, so……

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Iris are one of my favorite, and they can go inside and outside the pond, really tying the landscape together.

I also love creeping Jenny, once again, it grows inside and outside the pond, making for a very nice natural edge.

I just looked again and it looks like you already have both of those, but some more can’t hurt!
Great ideas! Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Do day lillies grow well in PA? I have used them everywhere and they are very forgiving, as well as they require very little care. Once the plants bush out, the greenery lasts all season, and is attractive in itself. Also, once established, they really fill out and fill in the area. They come in different heights, so you could potentially “layer” them. They also come in a gazillion beautiful colors and some flowers bloom at different parts of the year, so you could have a nice long bloom season. But I live in Louisiana, so……
I will look at this as an option too! Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
oh to me that space is screaming for a crimson red dragon japanese maple eather of to the side of the top of the water fall and have the water look like it's coming out from under it or . down at the bottom of the left of the light post. and have the limbs lean over the pond. then sky's the limit. Hostas are great plants easy care and grow anywhere. Maybe some wild onion as it to will grow anywhere.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
oh to me that space is screaming for a crimson red dragon japanese maple eather of to the side of the top of the water fall and have the water look like it's coming out from under it or . down at the bottom of the left of the light post. and have the limbs lean over the pond. then sky's the limit. Hostas are great plants easy care and grow anywhere. Maybe some wild onion as it to will grow anywhere.
Thank you! Your pond is beautiful! The biggest issue I have with this area is that it is shaded. (There is a small wooded area behind my pond that limits the sun at times thru the day). I appreciate the suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I second the Japanese Maple...Just what I was picturing:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thanks for all the ideas! It is still a work in progress and will look better once I complete the Spring clean-up, edge and mulch. We bought a dwarf red dragon maple and a few day lillies. There are other items that we didnt remove, but they havent started to grow yet in PA. We also have a banana treee that we hope will come back this year!
IMG_7708.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I agree with GB...A Japanese Maple would be beautiful there...How much sun does it get there?

Ask a Question