Wheat germ food in summer?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got a newsletter from one of the companies I buy pond supplies from. It stated that with the hot weather, fish should not be given a high protein food. Right now I am feeding color & growth food and my pond temp is at 85. I don't remember ever seeing that cool weather food should be fed in high water temperatures.
Has anyone else ever heard this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I considered feeding my koi the cool weather food, as I was having issues with green water...so thought a lower protein level might help. I was told it wasn't necessary to do that, so I'm feeding their regular feed now. My green water cleared, with new UV light and shower filter.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
News letter was from Microbe-lift
Summer in the south:

Be aware that high protein food content can be difficult for fish to digest when water temperatures rise above 80F. It may be time to switch back to Legacy Cold Weather (Wheat Germ) food for the hot weather and stop feeding if the water reaches 90F. The fish will expend more energy to process food at 90F than it will gain from eating. Let the fish enjoy some algae or a few insects in their pond until temperatures cool down again. And always use a pond thermometer when determining when and what to feed.

Personally, I don't let my water temp get up to 90F. I did a water change 2 days ago and temp is up so I may add some water to cool things down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmmm, makes sense. I think I'd cut down on feeding if my water temp was that high and do water changes too.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The fish didn't want to come up for food today but I attributed it to a couple of red tailed hawks that have been fighting for hunting territory over the ponds for the last week. Switching back to cool weather food till this weather breaks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The fish didn't want to come up for food today but I attributed it to a couple of red tailed hawks that have been fighting for hunting territory over the ponds for the last week. Switching back to cool weather food till this weather breaks.
Mrschem most of the foods today are multi seasonal but wheat germ wont hurt non does it also have garlic as part of its make up ?
That will tempt them back to he surface in double quick time as they cant resist garlic , if it hasnt Seachem do a garlic extract yu could add to thir food , or you might even want to make it yourself .
Another way is to buy a tube of garlic and add a little from that or simply finely chop up a clove and add it to thetr food.

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks Dave- I have added garlic to the food before and my summer blend has garlic in it. I'm trying to grow out the new babies and had both ponds on medicated food for the last week because of all the spawning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Dave- I have added garlic to the food before and my summer blend has garlic in it. I'm trying to grow out the new babies and had both ponds on medicated food for the last week because of all the spawning.
Did you test your water directly after spawning , did you note any elevated ammonia which is what my koi friends who have spawn pick up on ?

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dave- yes, had ammonia after spawning and did water changes but one pond must have been on little blue pill cause they spawned 12 times in 5 weeks. The other pond hadn't spawned in 3 years but as soon as I put in my cage to catch sale fish they started. Have been doing water changes every few days depending on water tests. The first day my gin-rin pond spawned the smell hit my nose as soon as I stepped outside and the pond is 150' from the house !

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The black water food i buy has garlic and plant matter and krill and my fish love it .I mix fall and summer food together .

Ask a Question