addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once my water drops below 55 I quit feeding, from what I have read they don't digest food well, if at all when they are in the winter phase.

I give them some wheat germ food as it cools down and some in the spring as the ponds warms up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just give mine wheat germ as temps here go up and down so they get it until around December and then start up with that food in February .I add organic garlic to mine in the spring .I heard it helps them feed better and fight off any diseases ,not sure it works ,but seems the fish don't mind and are healthy .Maybe there breathe stinks a little but then again I'm not kissing them :razz: :razz: :goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in the UK, so in winter, temperatures are usually around 2 degrees during the day

It is more the water temperature you go by then the air temperature. 2c is around 35f which means your pond will be way below 50f/10c, most likely.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
many food manufacturers, say you can feed down to 39*f. with a wheatgerm based food. it is highly digestable and nutrients are readily absorbed by the fish. i subscribe to the 50*f rule myself. wheatgerm foods under 60*...and up to 65*f in the spring as the water warms...my fish winter in a 800 gal pond in my basement so they are fed year round.. never see water under 55*...so i cant say wether feeding to 39*f is o.k or not. but i figure they can feed on the pond under 50*.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was talking to the guy down the street about his indoor pond and guessing he will be feeding for the winter and is planning on start on the out door one as soon as fall gets here and knowing him it will be big .He was only going to do an indoor fountain in his big metal building until I suggested a pond

but think he got addicted after his sand bag pond build

Reaction score
Maksy i know you started this topic a week or so ago but i just thought i would give you my view on the subject.
I do feed my goldfish wheatgerm sticks in the winter but only on the slightly warmer days of winter.If it is obviously freezing outside i dont even think about feeding them but if it dosnt feel to cold outside i do a check on the water temp with a little fishtank thermometer to see if it is warm enough to feed them and even then i only give them a very small amount of wheatgerm pellets.The only reason i do feed them in winter to be honest is because my wife gets concerned they might starve.I read ages ago that if the water is bellow a certain temperature the fish cant digest normal pellets but wheatgerm is easyer to digest under 10 degrees.
I also live in the uk and in the 5 years i have had my pond i havnt lost a goldfish in the winter. Oh No Ive said it now. :sad:

Ask a Question