When can I add koi and or goldies

Reaction score
~350 gal, pre-form, 18" waterfall, bio filter with UV, fountain, trap door snails, 3 lily pads and some addition misc. plants. Located in south Florida with lots of sun most of day. I have been battling algae - last month pea soup. Now only on water fall and a little on walls. Water is clear.
Ammonia was high now Nitrite and phosphare is high.
I am cleaning filters twice a week. Adding bacteria and trying to keep algea at bay. BTW- Bufo toads love to swim at night (thinking they may be peeing in my pond ??- When they pee they pee as much as a full cup! Dont ask how I know) Also- rain, rain, rain.......
Today- Test
API test kit
PH 8.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 5.0 ppm+
Phosphates 10 ppm+
Tretra test stick
PH 7.6
KH 120ppm
GH 150ppm
Nitrite 1.0ppm
Nitrate 0

I want my fish again. What do I need to do to her balanced so I can add fish.
PLease help

Attachments

• 006 - Copy.JPG
    006 - Copy.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 259
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
From what I know.. don't ever clean filters.. Especially new established?
Wrong Calvin you could spray them with chlorinated water it would only take the surface bacteria off the bacteria is embedded in the filter material bacteria survives the cold of the poles its found in hot springs in volcanic areas and survives the vacuum of space its basically indestructable

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm thinking 350 gallons is small for koi, but gold fish would be fine. I personally prefer more water movement, so you could consider an air pump. Your pond has a pretty setting :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Have to clean filters or water will not flow. I only use water no chemicals. I have water fountain, water fall and bio filter all with their own pump and filter media. Is that enough??
I had 2 koi and 3 goldies. Lost them a few months ago - not sure why. So cleaned, cleared and have been trying to balance ever since. Now that lilys are growing (and bloomed today first time) , snails are munching and UV bulb replaced - I think I am on the way.
Algea growing on waterfall, attached like would need a scrub brush to remove is ok, no???

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Your cycling is halfway through. Now just wait for your test to show no more nitrites and you're good to go. 350g is a bit small. I think 5 fish might be your limit.

How are you battling algae? Algae removes ammonia and other toxins to your fish. Don't use chemicals to remove them. But you can scoop them out of your pond or use your filters to remove them. During active months, you might need to clean them every few days.

Don't bother about adding bacteria, just let your pond cycle naturally like you are doing now.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Koi, I wouldn't. Pond is to small. Goldies would be far better choice. Clean your filters as needed, but use pond water if possible. You want the bacteria to stay on the filter media but if they are getting clogged then it is starving the bacteria of oxygen. I wouldn't add anything until nitrites and ammonia have fallen to zero, then clean the filters with pond water, do a partial water change with treated water and you should be ready to go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Algae doesn't hurt your fish. Clean to you may be dangerous to your fish. and vice versa. Having healthy water has little to do with how it may look. Algae will proliferate until your beneficial bacteria (bb) take hold. Once the bb starts working most likely your algae will go down because there will be less nutrients for it. In the mean time your pea soup algae is reducing the ammonia in your pond. If you ever look at pictures of breading ponds they are typically covered with pea soup algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You also need to add an air pump to your pond fountain's do not create much in the way of water movement important in allowing the pond to gas off

Dave

Ask a Question