When can I expect my milkweed to bloom?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The plants are growing and look healthy, but I don't see any signs that would indicate they are nearing blossom stage. This is the 1st growing season for some, and the 2nd or 3rd growing season for some --- if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I planted mine a bit later, so mine are still tiny things...but growing with this heat. I'll be interested to hear what others report about blooming.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The plants are growing and look healthy, but I don't see any signs that would indicate they are nearing blossom stage. This is the 1st growing season for some, and the 2nd or 3rd growing season for some --- if that makes a difference.

I'm sure location makes a difference, as well as type of milkweed, but here it can bloom starting as early as late June. In fact, one of my plants (Asclepias tuberosa) has buds that are slowly beginning to turn orange. Last year, my plants were new and didn't bloom until late August. Generally speaking, I see most wild milkweed blooming throughout July.

Is you plant related to the milkweed weed?
Milkweed is very poorly named; NOT a weed, it's a very important native plant species.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sure location makes a difference, as well as type of milkweed, but here it can bloom starting as early as late June. In fact, one of my plants (Asclepias tuberosa) has buds that are slowly beginning to turn orange. Last year, my plants were new and didn't bloom until late August. Generally speaking, I see most wild milkweed blooming throughout July.

Milkweed is very poorly named; NOT a weed, it's a very important native plant species.
What are signs that it's getting ready to make flower buds? I can see no visible changes in my plants.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What are signs that it's getting ready to make flower buds? I can see no visible changes in my plants.

You'll see them form very quickly (although that may also depend on the type).

Here's how mine (tuberosa) looked on June 2nd right after I noticed it was forming buds.
IMG_0171 copy.jpg

and here it is on June 6th when they were starting to look more like buds.
IMG_0336 copy.jpg

and a few minutes ago.
IMG_0466 copy.jpg

I don't know how old your plants are but I remember reading once that some milkweeds might not flower until their 3rd year.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You'll see them form very quickly (although that may also depend on the type).

Here's how mine (tuberosa) looked on June 2nd right after I noticed it was forming buds.
View attachment 82164

and here it is on June 6th when they were starting to look more like buds.
View attachment 82165

and a few minutes ago.
View attachment 82166

I don't know how old your plants are but I remember reading once that some milkweeds might not flower until their 3rd year.
Mine are in a range from 1 to 3 years old.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mine are in a range from 1 to 3 years old.

I think you'll just have to wait and see. Might start seeing buds any day. The milkweed I took the photos of is the only milkweed plant I have that has buds already. The rest show no signs yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So much depends on both your local climate and the microclimate. I have peonies, day lilies, and clematis in my front yard that will bloom 10 days to 14 days ahead of those in the back yard. I take photos every year specifically to document what blooms when. It's pretty interesting to see how it can vary from one year to the next.

Ask a Question