When can I pull my pump?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All, I just need a second opinion on removing my pump/ filter. I can't risk leaving it in even with a de-icer in there. I left one fish in pond and brought 2 inside to an aquarium. The temperature in pond is 45 - 50 F. Its going to freeze here soon. At that temp is my guy O.K. without the pump running? I have a de-icer for when that becomes necessary and did a MacGyver insulation job with stuff I found in my shed. At what temp do they no longer need the fountain and filter?
He is still swimming slowly around but not begging. I stopped feeding the pond at 50 F. I am sooo tempted to give him some comfort food. Especially since I took his 2 buddies away. He still has a lot of plants to eat anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Any chance he could join his buddies inside?

I usually turned off my pump and filters when the weather in our area was averaging below freezing temps at night regularly. I covered our pond, used a Pond Breather and aerator stones. We had adult koi.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any chance he could join his buddies inside?

I usually turned off my pump and filters when the weather in our area was averaging below freezing temps at night regularly. I covered our pond, used a Pond Breather and aerator stones. We had adult koi.
Yahh I wish I could keep them all together, either in or out. What happened was this is my first year and I thought that fish could survive anything. Its a small above ground stock tank and we can get cold snaps that could freeze it solid. So I found a 30 gallon aquarium and got it up and running. Another member recommended a stock tank de-icer that would keep the pond from freezing. By then I realized that 3 5-inch fish could be problematic in a tank that size. So I split the difference and brought 2 inside. I have insulated the sides and have a cover that will mostly cover the top. I had planned on using a large sponge filter with an air pump along with the de-icer but apparently that can chill the water even more. How cold does it get where you live?
I did end up pulling the pump today. It's supposed to get below freezing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
De icer in a small raised. Will keep an area open but that's primarily to allow for cabondioxide and other gasses from the fish and waste can escape the water. With a real cold snap the fish would have limited space sitting around the heater I'd be concerned the rest would be a block of ice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
What about covering the pond completely with a thick sheet of plastic, or pool solar cover? You could use board to make a small " lean to " so snow and rain would drain. I think the combination of covering the pond and using a de icer, would keep the water's surface open.

Our pond is 3.5 feet deep and we suspended our air stones about 10-12 inches below the surface of the water. From what I've read, chilling the water is more of a concern if you place air stones on the bottom of the pond, thus disturbing the warmest area of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What about covering the pond completely with a thick sheet of plastic, or pool solar cover? You could use board to make a small " lean to " so snow and rain would drain. I think the combination of covering the pond and using a de icer, would keep the water's surface open.

Our pond is 3.5 feet deep and we suspended our air stones about 10-12 inches below the surface of the water. From what I've read, chilling the water is more of a concern if you place air stones on the bottom of the pond, thus disturbing the warmest area of the pond.
Well, I'm committed to this course of action now. Hopefully my lone comet will not become an ice cube. I have insulated around the pond and I do have something to mostly cover the top as well as a sinking tank de-icer. The circumference of the wire guard on that unit is 13 in. so should keep a fairly large area ice free. Solar heat won't help me. My yard doesn't get any sun in the winter. However, I can experiment with some different coverings. The pond temp is around 43 F now. I did drop a couple of very small air stones in there today suspended a few inches below the surface. I don't want to leave them in all winter if they are not necessary. I also have read that the deeper they are the more danger of over chilling.
There doesn't seem to be " normal " predictable winter anywhere anymore. I imagine a lot of us have to adjust as we go along.
My 2 guys that I moved into the aquarium 4 days ago are adjusting. It's gotta be tough after living their Big Fat Pond Life all summer.
Like moving from a mansion into a Motel 8.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All, I just need a second opinion on removing my pump/ filter. I can't risk leaving it in even with a de-icer in there. I left one fish in pond and brought 2 inside to an aquarium. The temperature in pond is 45 - 50 F. Its going to freeze here soon. At that temp is my guy O.K. without the pump running? I have a de-icer for when that becomes necessary and did a MacGyver insulation job with stuff I found in my shed. At what temp do they no longer need the fountain and filter?
He is still swimming slowly around but not begging. I stopped feeding the pond at 50 F. I am sooo tempted to give him some comfort food. Especially since I took his 2 buddies away. He still has a lot of plants to eat anyway.
Fortunately, I don't have this problem where I live otherwise I would definitely reconsider maintaining a pond. I hope you find some simple solutions

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Fortunately, I don't have this problem where I live otherwise I would definitely reconsider maintaining a pond. I hope you find some simple solutions
Yes. Very nice. 30 years ago we barely even got snow here. Mild winters. Now it's a crap shoot. At least my pond is a manageable size.
I can't believe the amount of work some of you do, with large ponds, streams, bogs etc. I've seen some beautiful photos. Thanks for replying with some good ideas.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you increase the filtration in the aquarium you should be able to keep all 3 fish inside. Get as large as filter as you can manage and bring that fish indoors for winter.

It will take more attention to the water quality in the tank, and possibly frequent water changes, but it can be done if you are willing to do the work.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Awwwww Man! You are tugging on my heartstrings.
I don't mind doing the work. I've done weekly water changes in the pond all summer. I have a large sponge filter I could use to supplement the HOB. Also, an ammonia eating insert for 1 level of that filter. There is currently a 30 degree temperature difference between the pond and aquarium. I guess I could put the fish in a bucket with an air stone until it warms to room temperature.
So technically I could likely do It. I'm just not sure that would be best for the fish. The one in the pond is half asleep already and I already have the pond deicer. I'm afraid that they might fight. I have witnessed that fish being aggressive in the pond. He is definitely the pond boss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That aggressive type behavior is likely to be spawning behavior.

Another possibility. You could go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get as large a plastic storage box as you have room for and put your fish in that indoors, even in a garage. They have some that would hold a good bit more than 30 gallons and they are fine for fish. My shower filter is built out of the large black ones, so they are perfectly safe.

It's easier on the fish to move it from cold water to warm than the other way around. As you said, just increase the water temperature gradually and the fish will be fine.

In my opinion, they would all be better off together inside.

Ask a Question