When do I put the filtration back in my pond?

Reaction score
I have a 4000 gal pond in Colorado where the weather is still hit or miss. One day its 70 and the next it's 35. Nights still dip down into the mid 30's occasionally. I need to know when I can add the filtration back into my pond and lower the pumps back to the bottom and get the waterfalls rolling again. I've had aeration all winter but am tired of my pond looking like it's half done when in fact it's only winterized. My fish seem hungry and are becoming more active. I haven't fed yet since there's no filters running.
I have added water several times throughout the winter due to evaporation. Yesterday we added more and the fish were enjoying coming to the surface to check things out. I checked all of the water qualities and everything is great considering it has no filters yet. When can I add them back?
Also when do I add the bacteria back as well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With the temps that you are saying, your fine. Mine has been running a little bit now and everything is great. A couple of nights I did get a little ice but no big deal, just melted the next day. I still would not feed yet. My fish are even more active now with the stream running. Nice size pond, any pictures? Would love to see a few.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turned mine pond on, we have gone from 60 down to 18 with no issues. My pump is external, but as long as it is running it won't freeze up.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Same as above, my pump has been on for two or three weeks now, with temps getting down into the mid 20's. Just don't feed your fish yet until the pond temp is around 55. All my fish have become more active once I turned the pump on as well.

Reaction score
With the temps that you are saying, your fine. Mine has been running a little bit now and everything is great. A couple of nights I did get a little ice but no big deal, just melted the next day. I still would not feed yet. My fish are even more active now with the stream running. Nice size pond, any pictures? Would love to see a few.
photo.JPG

Reaction score
This was last fall before it got cold and icky. My plants are not looking too great yet either.
Can I lower my pumps to the bottom yet or is it too cold?

Reaction score
Same as above, my pump has been on for two or three weeks now, with temps getting down into the mid 20's. Just don't feed your fish yet until the pond temp is around 55. All my fish have become more active once I turned the pump on as well.

Your pond is stunning, oh my gosh! Mine looks and feels like a gold fish bowl in comparison! Beautiful!!!

Reaction score
I started mine up as sure as I was confident the pond wouldnt freeze over and cause me to drain it on accident. One thing... I did not top of my pond at all over Winter. No need. I'm not sure if it is very dry by you or what but maybe you have a leak.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nice pond, I see no reason why you can't lower your pumps now. Just watch everything for a bit to make sure you did not get any leaks over the winter. That way you will not drain the pond without knowing

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One day its 70 and the next it's 35. Nights still dip down into the mid 30's occasionally. I need to know when I can add the filtration back into my pond and lower the pumps back to the bottom and get the waterfalls rolling again.

I personally wait until night temps stay above freezing, and even towards 40 degrees, but once the waters running it'll probably be fine. I'm considering getting my pump going today and we still get occasional 20's at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had the pump to my filter running for about three weeks. I worry about sustained temps below freezing, but an occasional night or two below freezing doesn't concern me. I will not start the pump to my water fall till it's warmer.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't have to add bacteria? What about algae fix?
No, the bacteria will regenerate by themselves.
Never add algae fix. Your pond's natural equilibrium and your filtration should prevent algae from occurring. Algae removes ammonia and nutrients. The only way they will occur is if there is an imbalance in nutrients. And if you have ammonia in the pond, you want algae to be there to soak it up. Just physically or naturally remove the algae afterwards.

Ask a Question