When do I stop feeding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, with autuum approaching when should I stop feeding?, is there a temperature range, I have already reduced the amount I'm feeding them as they are taking longer to eat what I feed them, this is my 3rd year keeping Koi but I cant remember what signs to look out for regarding ceasing all feeding, any advise welcome, thanks, John.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When the water temperature drops to below 60 degrees switch over to a Spring/Fall formulated food, then when the water drops below 50 degrees, stop feeding.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here the temps can drop significantly without warning so I usually start gradually integrating the Wheat Germ, and decrease the high protein at the beginning of September and work my way till I only feed the Wheat Germ...I stop feeding when the fish stop asking for food

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here the temps can drop significantly without warning so I usually start gradually integrating the Wheat Germ, and decrease the high protein at the beginning of September and work my way till I only feed the Wheat Germ...I stop feeding when the fish stop asking for food
Very good to know, my fish have slowed in how much they eat but I didn't know they would for the most part just not eat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thank you for your replies and advise, its very helpful, I think I did slowly reduce feeding as they took longer to eat, eventually stopping feeding when they refused the very small amounts I was giving them. Some good advise though with autuum food and temperatures etc, many thanks, John.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very good to know, my fish have slowed in how much they eat but I didn't know they would for the most part just not eat.
I forgot to mention that in September I also start cutting down the number of feedings.
In the Summer time I feed my fish 3 times a day: in the morning, at noon and in the evening I've already eliminated the mid day feeding, next will be the early morning feeding, I keep the evening feeding for last because it's when I have more time and can enjoy it

If you watch your fish closely, you will see that they give signs to when and how much to feed...don't worry if they have days they don't seem interested in food much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Agreed with all the above. The fish let me know when they want to eat and when they don't. They are the best indicators. Your first season you might think they are sick or something, they start moving slowly, do not come over to see you as aggressively etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Koi-Feeding-Temperatures-web-final-featured-image.jpg

Ask a Question