When do I stop feeding?

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by Stingray, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Stingray

Stingray

Hello all, with autuum approaching when should I stop feeding?, is there a temperature range, I have already reduced the amount I'm feeding them as they are taking longer to eat what I feed them, this is my 3rd year keeping Koi but I cant remember what signs to look out for regarding ceasing all feeding, any advise welcome, thanks, John.

Stingray, Sep 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Stingray

Somethin' Fishy

When the water temperature drops to below 60 degrees switch over to a Spring/Fall formulated food, then when the water drops below 50 degrees, stop feeding.

Somethin' Fishy, Sep 12, 2018
    Tara and sissy like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Stingray

Gemma

Here the temps can drop significantly without warning so I usually start gradually integrating the Wheat Germ, and decrease the high protein at the beginning of September and work my way till I only feed the Wheat Germ...I stop feeding when the fish stop asking for food

Gemma, Sep 12, 2018
    Tara, Telion and Jhn like this.
  4. Stingray

Jhn

What Gemma said your fish should be the indicator not a preset temp. If they want to eat feed them.

Jhn, Sep 12, 2018
    Gemma, Tara and Telion like this.
  5. Stingray

Telion

Very good to know, my fish have slowed in how much they eat but I didn't know they would for the most part just not eat.

Telion, Sep 12, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  6. Stingray

Stingray

Hi, thank you for your replies and advise, its very helpful, I think I did slowly reduce feeding as they took longer to eat, eventually stopping feeding when they refused the very small amounts I was giving them. Some good advise though with autuum food and temperatures etc, many thanks, John.

Stingray, Sep 12, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  7. Stingray

Gemma

I forgot to mention that in September I also start cutting down the number of feedings.
    In the Summer time I feed my fish 3 times a day: in the morning, at noon and in the evening I've already eliminated the mid day feeding, next will be the early morning feeding, I keep the evening feeding for last because it's when I have more time and can enjoy it

If you watch your fish closely, you will see that they give signs to when and how much to feed...don't worry if they have days they don't seem interested in food much

Gemma, Sep 12, 2018
    Tara likes this.
  8. Stingray

RobAmy

Agreed with all the above. The fish let me know when they want to eat and when they don't. They are the best indicators. Your first season you might think they are sick or something, they start moving slowly, do not come over to see you as aggressively etc.

RobAmy, Sep 12, 2018
    Gemma likes this.
  9. Stingray

Rich8888ri

Koi-Feeding-Temperatures-web-final-featured-image.jpg

Rich8888ri, Sep 13, 2018
    Tara likes this.
  10. Stingray

Rich8888ri

Ps thats WATER TEMPS not Air temp.

Rich8888ri, Sep 13, 2018
    Telion likes this.