When do lotus come back?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is starting to come back to life. I started to get lily pads a week or two ago, but a couple of things have no sign of life. One is the pickerel rush, but I'm guessing I let the rhizome freeze solid and it's done for.

My lotus has not put up any leave yet either. Is this normal? I know last year at this time, I hadn't even planted it in its container outside of the pond. My water temps have hit the low 70s.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mine is starting to put small pads up, but doesn’t really take off until June. I’m located zone 7a/b. Relocated some lotus tubers as well, those are starting to grow but haven’t reached the surface yet.

I find until lotus get established they can have years when they don’t do as well. I wouldn’t be concerned much until June, it should have pads up by then.

Where I am located the weather hasn’t really warmed up until the past couple weeks and the spring has been unseasonably cold. So all my plants are coming back slower than usual.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. We went from unseasonably cold for a long time to warm very quickly. Maybe now settling back in. Everything on land was about two weeks later than normal.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am 6b my lotus are putting up a lot of leafs. You can see the leaves, mixed in with a bit of algae.
The pickerel rush is also growing great.
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not going to worry just yet about the lotus. If the pickerel rush is alive, it's ready to divide. If not, well.... I'll pull it apart this weekend and see if the rhizome is mush or not. Still learning what can survive where.

@addy1 your lilies and bog bean are doing great!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you know the temperature of your water .My lily already had a flower but sad to say I forgot to take a pic .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It was up to 70 or 72 last weekend having risen quickly from 48 a week or so before. It may have fallen slightly as we've cooled down a bit. No sign of flowers on my lilies, but each has about 4 pads or so.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My lotus in my 75 gallon preform has a bunch of leaves up. My 150 gallon stock tank has 7 lotus and no sign of anything!

Ask a Question