when do you grab lotus seeds

Reaction score
one of the local ponds has a lot of lotus (or maybe just big water lillies. i don't know) growing in it. i've tried grabbing the pods after they bloom and have gotten them to start to grow a little, but never really get one going. my own fault once on my best try. it surfaced and i didn't realise what it was. i tried to scoop it up like a fallen leaf, pulled the leaf off the stem and killed it.

anyway, what i'm wondering is, when is the best time to get the pod for the best chance of success? do you let it turn brown, right after the petals fall off or somewhere in bettween? thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The bigger the seed the better and to make the seeds grow you need to file the pointy side of the seed of and put in a glass of water with morning sun .I used a wine glass .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The seed pod should be completely dry and light brown (tan?) in colour. You can't wait too long... seeds found in a Pharaoh's tomb have sprouted successfully!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh and you can buy the seed ponds in craft stores and they grow

Reaction score
thanks all. i guess i'll try to get some now and make a serious try to grow some next spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pull the seeds out once the seed pod is nice and dry. Some are nice and big, some are tiny and squished. The nice big plump ones are the ones to try and grow.

Ask a Question