When do you move indoor fish out to your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was just wondering what water temperature in your pond, or weather, or date you use to decide when to move indoor fish out to your pond?

In my case, winters are mild enough to leave fish outside all year. But I moved one fish in for medical care, and bought some new ones to keep it company.

My pond water is still cold to me. Getting closer to mid 50s this week. But noticeably colder than my indoor room temp tank in high 60s.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I look forward to hearing some advice on this question as well. I believe that water temperature is what you have to moniter? My pond temp is still only 48 F and my aquarium is 68 F.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
At those temps you could move them if you equalize the temps, just equalize the difference in temps slowly. Can be done by turning heaters off and moving the fish outdoors, to get the temp to equalize with the pond, then move them over, could even add pond water to the tank to equalize other parameters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wouldn't necessarily put a specific date to the move. indoor tanks have a advantage of having a stable temperature that outside ponds/pools do not. I would acclimate the indoor tank with water from the pond/pool they will be transferred to a little each day for a month or so. just be careful to find and a day where both are at the same temperature.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As stated above it is not a time schedule but strictly a temp goal. The water needs to be within 2 to 3 degrees to minimize stress. and if your talking 50 degree waters to 70 degree waters that i would look at dropping the temp over the course a week At 50 fish start slowing down food starts to become an option and get a bit punchy. 70 they are fully active and eating. I'd be patient. so your only working a ten degree difference

Ask a Question