When To Add Plants After Winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I only built my pond last summer and it appears this winter is fading away, I am curious as to when hardy plants can be added to a pond, e.g. hardy lily? Kennebunk is 5a and the water temp right now in the pond is very cold, guessing but haven’t measured between 35-38f (Note to self to get a thermometer). I know any semi-tropical plants can’t be added likely until May.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Since hardy lilies can stay in a pond all winter - regardless of the temperature, as long as they stay deep enough not to freeze solid - it's safe to say you can put them in the pond as soon as you're able to get your hands on them! I'm about to pull mine up closer to the surface in a week or so - the warmer water near the top helps them to get a faster start in the spring.

Tropicals do like the nice warm water - we don't usually even see them for sale until early June here in 5B.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you an add any plants that are to your planting zone up in freeport my GUESSTIMATE IS your probably a 4 or 5 since your on the coast. any plants that can't survive your zone say a plant that has a tolerant of zone 7 you better wait till theres no chance of frost

Ask a Question