When to divide? Do it now, or wait till I have a place to plan them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hello, everyone! I wanted to put this somewhere other than my pond construction thread, since it pertains to plants in particular.
I have a small front yard pond that I have been neglecting in order to focus on the construction of the new one. I have been letting the plants go crazy, since I intend to divide them and put some in the new pond.
I am on hold with the new pond construction, waiting for some more rocks. But I feel like I will surely be ready to plant in there sometime in June.
While I am on hold, I could be working on tidying up the front yard pond and dividing my plants. I could get a small kiddie pool and put the divided starts in there to wait for their new location. Is that a good idea? Or should I just "cool my jets" and do something different? The front yard pond is looking very raggedy and overgrown and could really benefit from a tidy-up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
If you got space you can do it! I made same eith mine and kept all winter into garage till spring.
You can use normal pots with gravel just to keep the plants into verticale position.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree - go ahead with the divide, pot up & hold plan. Most of the plants that are sitting in the stores waiting to be purchased have been treated in a similar fashion. You'll just get to go 'shopping' at your own kiddie pool when the time is right. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Should I get some aquarium gravel to kind of hold them up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I think pea gravel is the right way to go, as you are using pea gravel in the new pond, too (when the small bobcat man comes back from vacation). I put plants in gravel filled nursery pots and sat them in a 65 gallon prefab filled with water and set in a slightly shady area (I'm in Florida, it was July, and didn't want the water to boil the plants). I had to watch for mosquitoes and change the water from time to time, but that was easy. All the plants made it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
full of pea gravel and easy way :D and here is the cheapest way too ;) the water plants are 1 of the most tough plant i ever met, are my "new cactus"! never die ahah
from a 1inch of waterlily's root now i got a full grown...

Ask a Question