When to move fish outside?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got a 35 gallon container pond with a few goldfish and rosy reds. Currently its in the basement (average temperature, low 60s). Will it be too big of a shock to these fish to move them outside at the start of April (average mean temperature about 45)? Should I wait until the average outside temp is closer to 55 or 60? The container pond will sit in the shade mostly, so no real chance at that time of year to warm from the sun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Eric, what are the differences between the inside water and outside water?
(Temperature and chemical levels)
I keep my shubunkins and rosey reds outside year round.
I have 6 months of ice cover with water temperature barely above freezing and they do just fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may need to slowly acclimate them to the change .The water outside where you live has to be cold and I know you have been getting warmer weather but nights are cold so water will still be cold .They weather could change so drastically that you may be putting them at risk .You could slowly add water from out side but I would wait .Water temp . like said is the most important not air temps .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry, I wasn't completely clear. The container pond will be moved outside. The water will be the same, but since it just sits above ground it will quickly acclimate to the average temperature, which is why I gave that. I'm planning to build a 3K gallon pond this summer and then the fish will definitely stay out, but this container would have frozen solid in a typical Chicago winter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would wait until the difference in average air temperature between outside and inside is 10 degrees F or less. The fish will be subject to less stress.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just remember about night temps. because they can really drop fast .Like here last night it was 27 degrees and today it got up to 67 and tonight it is supposed to be 30 degrees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just remember about night temps. because they can really drop fast .Like here last night it was 27 degrees and today it got up to 67 and tonight it is supposed to be 30 degrees

Yes, which is why I quoted the average temperature, not the average high. This pond may swing another +/- 5 from its average temperature. More with a cold snap or a heat wave.

Last edited:

Ask a Question