When to put in hardy water lillies?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This will only be my second season with two TINY ponds, plus a few "container ponds" in flower pots. I am still very, very new to ponds, but I love them so far!

Early last week, I bought two of those hardy water lily bulbs at Lowes, as well as one pickeral weed. All three plants are currently on my kitchen counter, still in their plastic cups (which I filled with water). All three bulbs are putting out growth already, so i think they are doing okay for now.

When do you think it would be "safe" to "plant" the plants in my ponds? I, of course, need to put the lillies in the larger pots (with aquatic soil, clay litter, and gravel) I have, and I need to move the pickeral weed to the fabric planter I have on one of the shelves of one pond.

I am in zone 7a, and our weather has been unusually warm lately. I did have thin layer of ice on one of the ponds, as well as on the flower pot ponds, last weekend, but the largest pond, which is only about 50 gallons, I think, hadn't had ice on it AT ALL all winter (maybe because I covered it with a improvised greenhouse-type set-up?).

Do you think it would be "safe" to put the plants in the ponds soon, or should I wait until the water is consistently above a certain temperature?

Thank you for your help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would put them in now. I have leaves and buds heading to the surface already. Zone 6b or so. I have heard some say to get them used to the cold, I have in the past, just tossed them in. You might want to put them outside so they adjust to the colder air for a few days. Then place them in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! Good idea to put them outside first. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow during the day. Thank you!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your welcome, lilies are pretty tough!

The lilies would do fine with just kitty litter. I put in about 1/4 cup of osmocote in the bottom, fill with litter place the tuber in the litter Make sure the growing tip is out of the litter. I use walmart oil pans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your welcome, lilies are pretty tough!

The lilies would do fine with just kitty litter. I put in about 1/4 cup of osmocote in the bottom, fill with litter place the tuber in the litter Make sure the growing tip is out of the litter. I use walmart oil pans
Thanks! Last year, I grew mine in wide, shallow "pots" with a mix of aquatic soil, litter, and gravel. I should try osmocote instead of the ridiculously expensive aquatic fertilizer spikes I bought. :) As a newbie, I fell for the idea that I had to buy "special everything." I'm learning!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have so many I go for the cheapest way. Mine grow wonderfully and have for years.

Ask a Question