When to remove plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi Guys
Just wondering when I should start removing the plants. Mainly hyacinth's. I know or I think I can cut down the cattails. My lilies are planted in the gravel bottom in areas that are about a foot deep. Do I have to dig them out and drop them to the bottom or can I cut them down and leave in place? I have some plants in the stream also. Do I leave them or remove them.(I kept my stream and waterfall running through the winter). What's your thoughts on that also. Some say it super cools the pond and some say streams don't freeze solid in winter so let it run. This is my first winter with plants. Pond was finished in October last year and I had no plants, just 8 or so fish to worry about. All came through last
IMG_5900.JPG
winter fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember even though you are taking the plants in they need aeration to survive and some fresh water once in awhile .Frost warning and water temperature will tell you when to bring them in .I bring mine in when water temperature hits 55 degrees and that here is usually the end of November .Most times some plants can be kept in the pond and only need cut back and lowered .You could also do like colleen does and put a pool solar cover over your pond as long as it is braced well against snow loads and wind

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sissy
I cant bring anything in. I have no room to store plants. Im planning on finding more plants in the spring that I can leave in year round. Hyacinth's look so good that its sucks to just throw them in trash but I don't have the room or the experience to keep them alive indoors.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
2 and a fish tank and a aerator from walmart .I got a fish tank from goodwill they seem to always have them .Got one yesterday for 5 dollars with stuff with it and bonus 1 was a aerator .Had to go grocery shopping so stopped to see what they had

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@SEKCOBRA - your hardy plants can stay in the pond. Leave the lilies where they are planted. You can cut the cattails down now or leave them until spring - I like to leave the stuff that doesn't fall over into the pond standing all winter as they help to catch leaves and things that may otherwise blow into the pond once you have a good amount of them growing.

As for floaters - I just toss them into the compost. It don't have the space or the patience to overwinter them and they are cheap to replace in the spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only plants that survive in my ponds are ones that can survive the winter. I tried to baby plants that could not handle our winter, but it was not worth it.

I make sure the lilies are lower than the ice freezes down, that is all I do for winter. All other plants are on their own and all have done fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Guys
Just wondering when I should start removing the plants. Mainly hyacinth's. I know or I think I can cut down the cattails. My lilies are planted in the gravel bottom in areas that are about a foot deep. Do I have to dig them out and drop them to the bottom or can I cut them down and leave in place? I have some plants in the stream also. Do I leave them or remove them.(I kept my stream and waterfall running through the winter). What's your thoughts on that also. Some say it super cools the pond and some say streams don't freeze solid in winter so let it run. This is my first winter with plants. Pond was finished in October last year and I had no plants, just 8 or so fish to worry about. All came through lastView attachment 116104 winter fine.
Leave the lilies if they are hardy and assuming your pond doesn’t freeze solid. Cattails are tough so no worries. Cut them back to avoid a cleaning mess in the spring. I have no proof of this but it seems like they grow back faster in the spring if old growth is cut back in the fall. Remove the floaters. You mention plants in the stream. What type are they? You can keep one hyacinth in a decorative bowl over the winter. We discussed how to do this last week on the forum when someone asked how to overwinter floating plants. There are real advantages to overwintering at least one floater. By the way, nice pond!
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Leave the lilies if they are hardy and assuming your pond doesn’t freeze solid. Cattails are tough so no worries. Cut them back to avoid a cleaning mess in the spring. I have no proof of this but it seems like they grow back faster in the spring if old growth is cut back in the fall. Remove the floaters. You mention plants in the stream. What type are they? You can keep one hyacinth in a decorative bowl over the winter. We discussed how to do this last week on the forum when someone asked how to overwinter floating plants. There are real advantages to overwintering at least one floater. By the way, nice pond!
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks everyone on the plant advice. Does anyone in a similar climate keep the waterfall/stream running in winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Does anyone have hornwart in their pond. Pretty sure that what its called. Its a plant that lives underwater. Do I need to remove it or can I leave it in for winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've never been able to get it to grow - fish gobble it up. But @addy1 leaves hers and it freezes solid and comes back every year. If it's well established I think you'll be fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Does anyone have hornwart in their pond. Pretty sure that what its called. Its a plant that lives underwater. Do I need to remove it or can I leave it in for winter?

I just leave it. It sort of poofs always and grows back gang busters in the spring.

I've never been able to get it to grow - fish gobble it up. But @addy1 leaves hers and it freezes solid and comes back every year. If it's well established I think you'll be fine.
Mine does not freeze, it is in the 5 foot area of the pond. I do have some in the shallower ponds, it might freeze, might not but it always comes back.

The parrots feather froze for years, then last winter it died. Some did come back in the small ponds and the 1000 gallon tank.

Ask a Question