When to return Koi to outside pond in Indiana

Reaction score
Hi,

Successfully wintered my guys inside and am now wondering when to return them to their outside pond (indianapolis) . Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jan

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i winter mine indoors every year.......i wait til the water tempoutside maintains a consistant 60*f. or within a few degrees of my wintwering ponds temp.
in case your interested heres a video of my wintering pond
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-wintering-pond-update-t7332.html

**the further the temps differ the more stress on the fish
** if you wait til 60* you can keep an active bio filter. my media transfers from filter to filter. if yours doesnt you can put some from inside in the outside filter to help it get a start.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As Koi guy has said the less the temp. difference the better, best time is when you know the temp is not going to change drastically for a few days and the water temp is the same outside as inside. That would be the perfect day to move them back in.

Reaction score
Welcome fellow Indy dweller! I moved my babies out this last weekend. And now it is going to be really cold and nasty this next weekend. Oh well! LOL

How big and deep is your pond you are putting them in? My one pond is around 63 degrees. And at 3800 gallons or so, even with a little cool spell the water temperature will not change much. Make sure your temps are above 55 is my suggestion. Cut back on their feeding before moving outside. Their internal digestive system could slow down being put in to colder water.

Ask a Question