When to run aerators?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I’m a newb....my pond builder included two aerators and a air pump in the build. I can adjust the level of aeration using a valve in the tubing going to each. That said I’m wondering when to use them as my pond already has a stream and a couple waterfalls that also help aerate the water I would assume. I’d prefer to leave them off when possible as they stir the water and make it harder to see the fish, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would say run it 24/7 365 days, but it might depend on the size of your pond.
I think the more oxygenation the better.
If the pond is really small, maybe you don't need it.
How many gallons is your pond?
My pond is 1500+ gallons and my aerator runs all the time. I have two large air stones running off one pump. I also have a waterfall and a fountain.

Reaction score
I only run mine when I shut the pond down for the winter. As long as your pump is turning the water in the pond over you are fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We run ours at night always, and 24/7 when it's really hot out. And then all winter long, but at a much higher spot in the pond, about 6 inches under the water.

One thing to consider - the same thing that makes it harder for you to see your fish makes it harder for predators to see your fish, too. So if you have any concerns, especially of the avian variety, you may want to use the aerators when you aren't actively viewing your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’m a newb....my pond builder included two aerators and a air pump in the build. I can adjust the level of aeration using a valve in the tubing going to each. That said I’m wondering when to use them as my pond already has a stream and a couple waterfalls that also help aerate the water I would assume. I’d prefer to leave them off when possible as they stir the water and make it harder to see the fish, etc.
Hi. Welcome to GPF. I don’t know the size of your pond and how much bio load you have but one of the biggest mistakes most new pond owners make is not having enough dissolved O2 in their pond. I would error on the side of caution and keep it running full time the first year until you are more experienced and have a good feel to know whether it’s needed or not. Good luck with your pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I don't run the aerators in the winter. Oxygenation is not an issue in the winter, so the only purpose for it is to keep a hole open when a serious freeze comes in. It really doesn't help keep the water open if a good freeze comes in and the pond will become cooler because of it. So I don't bother.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm curious about that statement... what's the reasoning behind that?

Colder water stores more oxygen than hot water. At colder temperature, the fish require less oxygen due to slower metabolism.

Likewise when it comes to ammonia, colder water stores ammonia as ammonia instead of ammonium ion, which is the harmful ammonia for fish.

It's when you fully freeze the surface that oxygen and ammonia become a problem.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I turn off my aerator in Fall as it is so cold now at night. I do leave my falls and my spinning ball pump running and they are both attached to filters. Oh also let the edge filter pot keep going also. Water always clears up in the pond when it gets cold. So clear I can see to the bottom. Not that way in Summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I turn off my aerator in Fall as it is so cold now at night. I do leave my falls and my spinning ball pump running and they are both attached to filters. Oh also let the edge filter pot keep going also. Water always clears up in the pond when it gets cold. So clear I can see to the bottom. Not that way in Summer.

I do the same thing exactly, I keep the filter running in the winter. The water clears up in the winter unlike the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm curious about that statement... what's the reasoning behind that?

Lisa I'm sure you know this, but am writing this for people that might read these posts so the can learn from our dialogue. I keep a pump and aerator running all winter. It helps supply O2 because fish kills are common when a pond freezes over or gets "snowed" over and there is inadequate amounts of dissolved O2 in the water, It helps the gas exchange by pushing out bad gasses that accumulate in the pond from the fish respiratory systems, and it helps move water to prevent anaerobic waste from accumulating that will harbor bad bacteria. Bad bacteria is especially harmful in the spring. If you ever smell a rotten egg smell from a pond that has little water movement it is because of the accumulation of anaerobic waste and bad bacteria. O2 prevents anaerobic bacteria and keeps them aerobic. Bad bacteria is most dangerous in the spring when the fish have low resistance coming out of the winter. The only negative of keeping a aerator or pumps running in the winter is it may disturb the 38 degree bubble of water at the bottom that keeps fish warmer in the winter. I would rather have them slightly cooler than deal with bad water quality, but for this reason I try to pull up my pump and aerator so it's not on the floor of the pond. Last winter we had negative 27 degrees for two days. It was so cold we actually heard the ground cracking at night! I lost one small fish out of 80 in the last year so I think it has worked out pretty well. i know you had problems last winter from faulty equipment. Sorry! I think it's important for people to understand how important it is to have proper water movement and O2 even in the winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We don't have ice that freezes solid over the pond usually and if it does it's for a couple days so we can get away w/o an aerator. If I had sold ice all winter I would need more aeration too or maybe one of those breather deals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@CometKeith I have always believed exactly as you, which is why I asked the question. I've never heard anyone express the viewpoint that oxygenation is less important in the winter so that caught my attention.

We do run our aerator all winter, but we pull it up from the bottom and place it on the shelf so it's about 8 or 10 inches under the surface. If we end up using the de-icer, I put it right over the aerator as the ice always stays thinner over the aerator. We did find out the hard way last year that big fish need LOTS of moving water - the pump failure was a disaster for us as it happened at the worst possible time. So I guess my experience would tell me that low oxygen can be an issue at any time of year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We don't have ice that freezes solid over the pond usually and if it does it's for a couple days so we can get away w/o an aerator. If I had sold ice all winter I would need more aeration too or maybe one of those breather deals.
I almost forgot! I have a breather too. That is huge when the pond freezes over because my pump and aerator can't keep a hole in the ice open.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our aerator can't either, which is why it was so crucial that our waterfall keep running. Once that was shut down, my big fish we're doomed. The goldfish were not bothered one bit however - size was definitely the factor in who survived and who didn't. I still can't explain my one koi that survived, except maybe as they others died off, he was left with just enough oxygen to be the last man standing.

Ask a Question