when to shut down stocktank filter?

Reaction score
I have shut down one of my pumps and skimmer for winter and now just have one pump to stock tank running, my quest. is at what temp. will boi-filter die off ,its currently 50 during day, 30 at night and water temp in 50s . thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
well, first your biofilter bacteria don't die off. they will go dormant, and that's at about 50 degrees. your climate is different where you are in rhode island than ours here in north carolina, so it's tough to compare, but we never turn off our system. that is an especially important piece of advice for sealed tank filtration. a sealed tank will exhaust its oxygen when bacteria become active and go anaerobic building up hydrogen sulfide and acidifying the water within. that effect will damage biofiltration bacteria and stimulate anaerobic populations. our filter is an open bed system so i'm not sure what to do for a sealed filter that is shut down.

Ask a Question