addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a uv, but did shut off my stream about 3 weeks ago. The stream ponds keep water in them all winter, no fish that I am aware of in them

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I still have all my streams still going. It is only getting down to high 20's overnight and back up to mid 50's during the day. I will probably turn off next weekend though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine got shut off with all the changes I was doing,(had to cut the plumbing feeding it), have not hooked up the line again yet. But I usually shut it off before the pond pump

Reaction score
ok water temp at around 45 degrees, when should i turn the stream and UV light off? i still have some string algae hanging around
First new moon in November, or whenever you feel like it, which ever comes first.

BTW you know that a UV light won`t help eliminate string algae, right? However there is some evidence that sting algae will help eliminate green water algae.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep it eats up the nutrients that feed the green water .which is algae .It starves it .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I shut my pump off when I think it's gonna freeze. The hose to the waterfall isn't that well insulated and if that freezes, then my pump will explode!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It really depends where you are pulling water from, top middle or bottom of pond, to feed the stream and how your stream is structured.

If there is alot of cascading in the stream, then freezes will likely cause ice dams to form that could cause draining your pond. It really depends on how you built it. From what I googled, looks like a 2012 usda hardiness map shows Philadelphia in the same zone as I am. If the pump is pulling water from the ponds bottom into the stream, then this could cause the water to further cool, potentially removing any kind of potential water temperature stratification depending on your pond's water movement.

During last winter, where we had a few days straight where the hi-temps were hovering around 15*F, my stream never even got close to daming except my stream is a straight flow, that does not have any waterfalls nor other type of water cascades in it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm in Philly. We shut down the pond totally today. Waterfall off, airstones at surface for winter with heaters in place but not turned on. Water at about 43F.

Craig

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Streams will either make your water colder or warmer as that would depend on if the stream is in full sun most of the day .I find that streams running in full sun grow more algae but that helps filter the water also and cuts down on nutrients going into the pond .

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Since we're in the same zone, figure the only difference between Philly and Dalhart is the humidity. Humidity tends to hold temperatures in the air denser and longer. It could be a big enough change to make a difference in how many hours it remains a particular temperature in the air, which is a big deal.

Sissy, ya gave me an idea. A fella could more easily cover the stream with a narrow, long piece of greenhouse tarp, shaped like a tent to shear off snow, so the sun can be further magnified to help warm the water. I've seen this done on an entire pond keeping the water at 50*F, but, depending on your design, it could be tougher to do entire pond so the stream could be an option.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All you need for that is pvc pipe and pound some rebar down into the ground and put pvc pipe over it and cut the pvc longer so you have an arch to it and tie each bend to each other to keep them all uprite but in heavy wet snow they may collapse .Plus the plastic does get brittle after awhile .I had that set up on my veggie's but found even really heavy rains and wind damage it and I had 10 mil thick plastic .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They do sell some special clear plastic sheeting that has a high uv protection rating and the stuff is long lasting out in the sun, rain, wind etc.
We bought some at a green house business and it' been up on a small covered framed area for several years. Only thing watch out for cats that like to jump up on things cuz their nails do a number on it :grumble:

Tomatoes 2005.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had some similar JW but it did not with stand the 2010 winter it just caved in and cracked .I think the snow was just to wet and heavy and plus it was around 5 years old .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine was on a peaked roof deal so snow slid off pretty good w/ any build up and never seen any cracks in it, only some poked holes where the darn cats jumped up on it!

Ask a Question