When to start UV Light

Reaction score
Hello! Green water already!! :twisted: Weather has been in the 50s here on Long Island, NY at night it goes to mid to high 40s.
Someone told me I shouldn't but my UV Light on yet. Is that true?
I can't stand the green water that is getting worse as the days pass.
Can you give me some advice?
Thank you! :goldfish:

Reaction score
Did they say why you shouldn't?

Most of the species of bacteria that convert ammonia do spend part of their life cycle floating in the water before they attach to a surface. I have read some people saying they didn't want the UV to kill that bacteria. But they were just taking a tiny part of the story and dreaming up a conclusion. It's true some bacteria would be killed, but there's a huge number. And the floating stage is very short. The confirmation imo is there's been a lot of people who ran UV on day one and had bacteria establish.

Turn on the UV. Faster it's on the faster the algae killing bacteria get going, the fewer suspended particles in the water you'll have later.

Reaction score
When I started my waterfall up I tuned my uv on. My daytime temp was mainly in the 40's during the day. Couldn't stand the green water anymore. Ran the uv about a week and then turned it off. I have had crystal clear water since.

Ask a Question