When to transfer fish to new pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

New pond is just filled and wondering how long I need to wait to. Move my goldfish from their old, small pond to the new, nice, spacious one.

Also, do I need to add any bacteria or anything to the pond now that it’s new.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to suggest you wait on moving those fish, and while you're waiting read up on the nitrogen cycle.

Reaction score
ditto.... read up on cycling a pond. Assuming all was going well in the older pond, you can "seed" your new pond and filter with bacteria from your old pond. Take some of the much from your old filter and put it in the new one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand that there is a nitrogen cycle, but how long do people suggest to wait before adding the fish.

My new pond is 8'x12' and over 3' deep at it deepest point (about 600 gallons). I can add my current filter material and the 55 gallons of water that are in their current pond to help "seed" the new pond. In addition, I know you can purchase bacteria to help speed the nitrogen cycle.

Thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't buy bacteria, seed the new pond with some muck, current filter material and plants from your old pond. You could put some fish in but watch the water tests esp for ammonia. I would wait at least a week after seeding the water if not a bit longer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My new pond is 8'x12' and over 3' deep at it deepest point (about 600 gallons).

If those are correct measurements, your pond is at least twice that volume. It's important to know a close estimate in case you ever need to address a problem in the pond that requires dosing accurately.

If you understand the nitrogen cycle then you understand that you add fish once the pond shows signs that it has cycled. Some people jump start the cycle by adding a few fish; others use ammonia in measured amounts to avoid using live fish that may or may not survive the process. Your pond is safe for your fish once the cycle has been established.

Do you have a test kit to monitor the process?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
All great advice!
Seeding with water, muck from the old pond is a great way to jump start it. I agree with not buying bacteria. Dont waste your money. You have plenty in your old filter.
Good luck with your new and improved pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If those are correct measurements, your pond is at least twice that volume. It's important to know a close estimate in case you ever need to address a problem in the pond that requires dosing accurately.

If you understand the nitrogen cycle then you understand that you add fish once the pond shows signs that it has cycled. Some people jump start the cycle by adding a few fish; others use ammonia in measured amounts to avoid using live fish that may or may not survive the process. Your pond is safe for your fish once the cycle has been established.

Those are the correct measurements, and I thought it would have been more gallons as well. I monitored my water meter when I filled it and it was just shy of 600 gallons.

Yes, I do have a test kit and will be monitoring levels.

I know some people wait 4 to 6 weeks to add fish to be safe, but was wondering what others estimates are.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• 398BD541-75EA-4DF3-A4AC-E1B44A5CE8DA.jpeg
    398BD541-75EA-4DF3-A4AC-E1B44A5CE8DA.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 210
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
1 fish per 1 week is safe if your pond is 500 gallons or more assuming you have filtration running so the filter can pick up the bacteria.

Ask a Question