When to turn off Filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in Ga. Zone 8 I am running a pressure filter and an external UV light. Should i go by the water Temp's or the weather Temp's?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If your pressurized filter is above ground, you'll probably need to pay attention to both the water and air temperature. We got caught in a particularly cold snap one year, with our pressurized filter ( above ground ) still outside and it cracked :( Water temperature is a good guide to know when to stop feeding your fish.

I've read the the coating on UV lights can be affected by cold temps, so I'd pull it when you o longer need it. I've already pulled mine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am in Ga. Zone 8 I am running a pressure filter and an external UV light. Should i go by the water Temp's or the weather Temp's?

I'm on Long Island. Water temps 62F so I find it still early. I kill my biofilter, main drain and UV's etc and keep my skimmer running through the waterfall all winter. I have a 1000 watt de-icer directly in front of the savio weir. I also built a control panel that saves me electric as the settings go on when air temps are 34F and off when air temps are 37F. Believe it or not, the pond (2000 gal) remains between 42F-48F all winter. Keep in mind, the ground temp under the pond is always 48F so that is another natural heater.
Going in for a neck fusion 11/13 so I have no choice but to drain the main bio just prior. I'll still feed occasionally until the temps hit 50F.

This is the best! ... Been using this for many years with the de-icer ....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I may be the one that is doing it wrong here.... so someone please correct me I am, but I am in zone 7, so I run my pump and pressure filter year round. In my three winters with my pond the lowest I have ever seen my water temperature is 37 degrees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I may be the one that is doing it wrong here.... so someone please correct me I am, but I am in zone 7, so I run my pump and pressure filter year round. In my three winters with my pond the lowest I have ever seen my water temperature is 37 degrees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am in 7b. Never realized it got that cold in TN. I do what I mentioned above as I just choose not to stress the fish as much as the 30F's do but many people shut down completely using a bubbler or de-icer. 25 years back when I had a different filtration system and a smaller pond, I also ran it all year round. Always used a de-icer though. We can get cold snaps lasting long periods of time from 0-20F ... I don't know if there's a right or wrong really. I haven't lost a koi in over 10 years though. I choose to run the skimmer & waterfall for circulation and some basic filtration keeping my main equipment off.

This structure for the 4 months keeps it clean + the skimmer does take care of small things that get through. I made a shot and
labeled it, hung it in my shed so each year assembly is a walk in the park. The labeled shot is recent as I replanted the bare spots.

hung it
IMG_2557.jpg
POND FRAME.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am in 7b. Never realized it got that cold in TN. I do what I mentioned above as I just choose not to stress the fish as much as the 30F's do but many people shut down completely using a bubbler or de-icer. 25 years back when I had a different filtration system and a smaller pond, I also ran it all year round. Always used a de-icer though. We can get cold snaps lasting long periods of time from 0-20F ... I don't know if there's a right or wrong really. I haven't lost a koi in over 10 years though. I choose to run the skimmer & waterfall for circulation and some basic filtration keeping my main equipment off.

This structure for the 4 months keeps it clean + the skimmer does take care of small things that get through. I made a shot and
labeled it, hung it in my shed so each year assembly is a walk in the park. The labeled shot is recent as I replanted the bare spots.

hung itView attachment 125144View attachment 125146
After having a bad first year with my pond..... I keep a close watch on my pond and I check my fish and water temperature every day so when I say 37 degrees it was during a pretty good cold spell..... for most of the winter it’s 45 or above

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I'm in 7 and have had ice as much as 3" thick for a week or more. I still leave everything running 24/7-365.

Reaction score
Country
United States

hung itView attachment 125144View attachment 125146

What brand of net is that? The holes look much smaller then the net I have. I like it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The net is a Dewitt. Buy one every 3 or 4 years. Between the net and the skimmer running , pond stay immaculate. It's 1/4" and the material won't shred as it's a poly with UV .... Great net. Been using the same one for as long as I can remember.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I cover our pond with a pool solar cover. I would love to keep my sand & gravel filter running all winter, but worry it could freeze since it's raised above the ground.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All is off here now. Pond breathers in but not running yet, no running water, plants groomed, bog groomed, pumps pulled and in storage. Next feed sugar blocks to the bees.

Extra anti heron netting up until I can replace the wide weave netting I use, it is finally falling apart.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The net is a Dewitt. Buy one every 3 or 4 years. Between the net and the skimmer running , pond stay immaculate. It's 1/4" and the material won't shred as it's a poly with UV .... Great net. Been using the same one for as long as I can remember.

Over 3x the price of the other amazon net I purchased but I really like the small spacing.

Ask a Question