When to turn the pump on for the waterfall?

Reaction score
So we had some above freezing temps at night time last week so I turned on the pump after cleaning out the filters. Oh i'm in Philadelphia, PA. The pond is under 3000 gallons and 4ft at the deepest point and 2 feet at the shallowest. its been below freezing at night for the past couple days and up til tuesday so i turned off the pump. Once it stays in the upper 30s at night is it safe to turn on the pump and keep it on?
The fish are at the bottom swimming around. and when can water hyacinth be added?
Thanks guys

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What is the temperature of your pond? The waterfall running at night will drop the temperature. My az water fall kept my pond at 85 even with the air temp at 115.

Minimal temp for the water hyacinth is 54, so it might still be too cold there. My pond was 60 and is now 44 again, you might want to wait until the temperature goes up and stays up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I am in Northern NJ, a little cooler than where you are and we turned our pump on last week as soon as we had a warm day. The nighttime temps are in the mid 20's and days in the 40's right now. Better to get it going for us, as I have full sun nearly all day.
As far as the water hyacinths go, they like it hot, the frost date is May 15, but you can try earlier, and if you know cold is coming bring them in in a bucket or bowl for oovernight.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have our pump running, but not the stream or waterfall, it was a warm 24 here this am

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Philly I started my pump and waterfall almost 3 weeks ago. By oxygenating the water you are helping to reduce the harmful effects of decaying organic material in the pond.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Guess I will keep it running. only got 3 more days of below freezing temps at night. Guess i can always turn it off at night.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I'm in Philly area. I have the aerator going, but no pump or falls yet. Still getting below 30 at night and only to 50 tops in the day (except for a few good days last week.) I do my spring cleanup, pump and falls, and plants on the third week in April, when I'm SURE there will be no more freezing. April 21 is my birthday, and I have never seen snow or freezing temps in my adult life at this time. It's also when I plant my yard.
Joanie

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep hitting the low 20's here, it was 24 last night, my little ponds had ice on them again, but it did melt during the day, got to a warm 37

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I started mine about 3 weeks ago and it is now getting to a low in the mid 20's and high 40 but will leave mine going 24/7.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just started mine up yesterday and put my little basket of filter floss under the waterfalls where it is turning green fast. It's getting warmer here but still raining off and on :lol:

Reaction score
Why are you worried about the cold temps at night. I am in MA and I keep my falls running until they no longer keep the pond in the area ice free. That usually will happen when the temps get into the low teens at night. Then I start up my trough heater. As for hyacinths wait until you are past the time to get frost, they don't like it. As mouse said you could always bring the in if they are calling for frost.

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I worry about cold temps because while two of the larger falls are drops, the water cascades over gravel, then flattens out over some flat rocks where it isn't very deep. I have seen this area ice up along the edges, and I don't want it to dam and run into the garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
If you are afraid of icing maybe turn it off at night. I do not use a heater in my pond, just a good bubble stone all winter and only this winter after the snowfalls accumulated and the temps were frigid for a while did the whole nearly close up. All fish were fine and hubby opened the whole and each day it would open during the day and close up overnight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Philly, you may want to read this thread. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/cold-north-t7112.html
He advocates running the pump as much as possible and I think it makes sense. I kept a couple airstones running all winter and then switched on my pump early March. There were a few days this winter that the pond had a couple feet of snow on it without a clear hole, but it didn't seem to hurt the fish probably because the water was well oxygenated. If you are worried about your waterfall damning then you might try to have the water come back more directly to the pond or use a different pump for the winter altogether and set up a new route for the water flow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine iced over completely, about 8 inches thick, just goldies and shubies, they were fine when it melted. We did not have our electric done when it decided to start freezing. Did not want to depend on an extension cord for the winter.

Ask a Question