Where can I buy or make these?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for cheaper alternatives to the matala mats. I'm going to need a lot of them & cannot accept such a high cost on plastic.

I'm also curious about these spillways.
I found one through pinterest, it led me to this forum, but unfortunately, it didn't open to the thread it was from! I've tried searching around here & no luck.
I'll be using 100 gallon troughs, similar to as pictured, and need a 2-3in tall spillway by an uncertain length at this point in time.
Were these premade, and if so, what's the website?
If not, how do you make it, what material & what glue?

20210110_153437.jpg FB_IMG_1610311004631.jpg

Please help!
I'll be digging in the spring and need to have these things ready to go!
Yes, I already have a pond, this will be a huge upgrade. From 4,600gal to roughly 18,000gal!

Ad

Advertisements

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1610313067204.gif
and welcome @secuono
Did you try looking on Amazon for maybe rolls of the Matala? There is a member here who makes the spillways. His member name is @koiguy1969 and perhaps he will see this message and be able to help you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why would you spend the time energy and effort into something that requires frankly a lot of maintenance. why not pump the water to the bottom and fill it full of pea stone and create a bog . have you looked at bogs at all?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why would you spend the time energy and effort into something that requires frankly a lot of maintenance. why not pump the water to the bottom and fill it full of pea stone and create a bog . have you looked at bogs at all?
I currently have a bog. It's no good for what I need. And the upgrade will not have one. I also have mechanical & bio gravity filters.
My pond is heavily planted, which means I need lost of good mechanical filtration & my DIY sieves to polish the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I don't understand. Are you abandoning your bog filtration and exclusively going mechanical with your expanded pond? If so why?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I don't understand. Are you abandoning your bog filtration and exclusively going mechanical with your expanded pond? If so why?
Thanks.

Yes.
Because I can't make a raised bog with the space I'll have left and it's not doing much either way.
This year, I didn't even have the bog spilling into the pond because of a leak I couldn't fix. There was no negative effect.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my pond from August 2020.
Non-flowing bog by fence.
117720045_2830770063876198_1717997802996077610_o.jpg
117543391_2827873500832521_8414072726179228482_o.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm wondering too. Was your bog not adequate? Adding a bog was the best improvement I made to my pond. I love it and there's no pads to clean or replace. Crystal clear water and no looking back for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm taking a wild stab that it was not the idea of a bog that didn't work but the design possibly. It appears like you have lilies in your bog they are not the best for a bog. plants that grow fast and aggressively are more the desired plants for a bog . I have been on this site three years now and you would be the first who did not have a bog work for them.
Also any return that is gravity through pipes is probably a hint there may not have been enough flow through the bog. Actually I'm questioning how the whole system is designed it looks like the bog starts right next to the yellow fish but then you have the pipes. So I'm confused. but from others that have come to the site when ever i have seen the pipes the bog was generally pretty small

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
My best guess is perhaps black floor stripping pads? They might work and could be cheaper. But, seems to me they will get all 'gunked' up.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
My best guess is perhaps black floor stripping pads? They might work and could be cheaper. But, seems to me they will get all 'gunked' up.
Yes, they do clog during the growing season and for a bit when everything is dying back for winter.
The first bin in my current 2 bin, the pads are hosed weekly. 2nd bin roughly every 4wks. Not at all during winter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This thread is not about bogs.

I need sponges and spillways....
If you’re not finding the information here that you need, you might want to do a Google search. I know that there are alternatives out there, however, I have used Matalla filter pads and they are very good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Can't help with sponges, pads etc, don't use any of them. Spillways I made with nice flat rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm taking a wild stab that it was not the idea of a bog that didn't work but the design possibly.
I was thinking the same thing but I was concerned that some of my thoughts would insult the person who built the bog.

We don't mean to be disrespectful. Just trying to help out.

Yes, this thread is about filter pads....
But... here's the point some of us are making... if your bog was working properly, you wouldn't need any filter pads at all and you wouldn't be rinsing them weekly [as you stated]. I've been there and done that and still struggled with terrible green water.

There are members here that have been exclusively filtering with a bog for many maintenance free years. Addy's bog is over 10 years old if I recall correctly. I built my bog the Spring of 2020 and have had crystal clear water since. Previously, I ran two pressure filters and a UV light and had constant green water. I couldn't see my fish unless they came up to feed.

So, it's up to you. You can continue cleaning and buying expensive filter pads or have a maintenance free bog. If you can describe in detail how your bog was constructed, perhaps we can help diagnose why it failed and get you back on track to maintenance free filtration.

Again...just trying to help out....

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you’re not finding the information here that you need, you might want to do a Google search. I know that there are alternatives out there, however, I have used Matalla filter pads and they are very good.
I found the spillways HERE through pinterest...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @secuono . While I agree with you that the Matala filters are a pricey investment, they are known to be the best and last forever from what I've read. I've never used them - another bog filtered pond lover here - but I've been researching a fines filter for the pond and will eventually buy one made by Matala. Not the cheapest, but I've found that there's often a reason why something is more expensive.

Your best option I would say would be to buy the filter material by the roll if you really need that much.

As for the spillways, I don't recognize those photos, but we do have a few members who DIY them. Maybe they will pop in here.

Is that a photo of your whole pond? Or just the bog portion? You mention it's 4600 gallons so I wondered if we were seeing the whole thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @secuono . While I agree with you that the Matala filters are a pricey investment, they are known to be the best and last forever from what I've read. I've never used them - another bog filtered pond lover here - but I've been researching a fines filter for the pond and will eventually buy one made by Matala. Not the cheapest, but I've found that there's often a reason why something is more expensive.

Your best option I would say would be to buy the filter material by the roll if you really need that much.

As for the spillways, I don't recognize those photos, but we do have a few members who DIY them. Maybe they will pop in here.

Is that a photo of your whole pond? Or just the bog portion? You mention it's 4600 gallons so I wondered if we were seeing the whole thing.
It is the pond(yellow) and bog(red). Lines might be a little off, as I can't see actual edges thought all the plants & shade.
13x13ft at surface. There's a 1ft submerged shelf along 2 sides, then it drops another 4ft. Bog is about 300gal. I redid it 2yrs ago, 6x4.5,1.5ft roughly.
20210111_194727.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Downloaded the reverse image search app.

Found the threads!

Reactions: cas

Ask a Question