Where can I get water lettuce in Chicago suburbs?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I got some water lettuce last summer but am having a hard time finding it in the Spring, any suggestions in the Chicago suburbs?

Thank you,

Shane

Reaction score
Oh boy. Not sure on that. You may have to turn to online markets. The petco here has water plants all year round, but they are very small an expensive. And I once got some water plants from a worm farm/ bait shop, if you have one of those in your area. OR. Someone on here may have some starts they are giving away after they split plants this spring.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Are there no garden centers in your area? Most around here carry at least a few pond plants, and almost always WH and WL.
John

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had a hard time finding this year in ky as well. Finally found some but it was not large and looks rather weak but I am hoping in a few weeks they start getting bigger. Maybe someone in the south might have some they can send you.

Reaction score
Shanezam, You can find them locally in Chicago. I saw them at Wannamaker's in Downers Grove. They have water lettuce and hyacinths and all sorts of bog/marginal plants. Not sure where you are in Chicagoland...

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Found a place in Naperville, $4 each. Seems so much more than the 50 cents or so I paid last year from a guy...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 2.59.31 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 2.59.31 PM.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 264
Reaction score
I was just there yesterday! I work in Warrenville and it's one of the stores I hit along with Aquascapes and Wannamaker's all along Ogden Ave if I get pond withdrawl! Makes for a nice relaxing lunch break.

How's your pond coming along this spring?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Real well, thanks for asking. I am working on the landscaping in the area behind my pond now.
I made a paver walkway so I can walk on bricks vs. in the Mud and I'd like to plant some bushes and trees to create a nice backdrop.

On the subject of Water Lettuce, should I let it float freely or should I hold it together if I am looking for my 10 pieces to multiply quicker?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score

Ask a Question