Where can I get.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
...one of those blue plastic tubs the professionals use to show koi?
Not the huge ones in koi shows, I mean a floating one. I need it so I can take pics, when I move my fish from one pond to the other.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you! :)

22" is way too small tho

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I only saw the 2 sizes! ... those tubs are expensive! I'm thinking it'd be much cheaper if I got a storage tub.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, they are expensive. All the stuff sold for showing koi costs a lot.

If you only want it for taking pictures then a storage tub would be much cheaper. You may have to look around to find the right size and color.

What about a muck bucket?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Or a cheaper option (although maybe not as sturdy) are a similar bucket sold at stores like Walmart for gardening. I use one to store our garden hose. They are sold in blue and are under $10

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yeah I'm thinking a large Rubbermaide storage tub would work, even if it might not show the fish as good as a blue bowl, but it'll be good enough for me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cool, I wanna see your fish :giggle:
lol me too!
...especially my dragons (Kin Kikokuryu),because they change so much every year!
One in particular I used to dislike and was considering re-homing and now I'm glad I didn't... she started out half gray and half orange and very dull then the black started coming out, first I noticed the black line along her side, then the mask on her face, also now that she was outdoor her colors brightened up and the metallic really started showing.
Last year the metallic white took over the dorsal fin, and the orange spread deeper and further down its back ( I have a feeling the orange will end up turning red)
...adding all this changes, to how fast she's growing turned this once boring looking fish into one of my favorite ones.
I took several pics but since I added the aerator viability is very poor and pics don't come out good, if I make any adjustments to slow down the water moment the fish get scared and sink to the bottom, so that's why I want to take advantage of when I move them and get some pics, and possibly measurements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your Dragon sounds really neat. It's always so fun watching fish change color. I've seen it many times in my bettas. A few times I was disappointed because I really liked the way they were marked and then they completely changed. So much that they looked like a different fish :poop:

And I hear ya on taking pictures. I see so many people post awesome pictures of there fish. I have a hard time getting 1 or 2 decent pictures (if I even get that) I want to try and get some under water photos of my pond fish once we warm up.

When are you planning to move your fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure when the best time to move fish is!
I'm thinking for me between March and April maybe, when the temps are warmer , yet the water still cold enough for the fish to be slower .
I bought a huge ring net and a sock net that holds water...I'm going to try and do it like the pros
Using the ring net to lure the fish into the plastic tub, snap a few pics ( and measurements), then lure the fish into the sock net and walk it to the other pond which should be pretty close in temps.....but some how I doubt it will be this easy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your Dragon sounds really neat. It's always so fun watching fish change color. I've seen it many times in my bettas. A few times I was disappointed because I really liked the way they were marked and then they completely changed. So much that they looked like a different fish :poop:
Some of my koi changed a lot and others nothing at all. The dragons are the ones that change the most
The doitsu Matsuba in my Avatar has only grown in size, it looks exactly like it did at 5"
The Orenji Matsuba turned deep red so it is now an Aka Matsuba
The Sanke will soon lose the rest of the red and become a Shiro Bekko
My Kikusui is exactly the same in pattern, the deep orange turned to red
The Shusui hasn't changed
The Hariwake shed almost all its orange and then it reappeared in a different pattern

I've come to expect some color change in most koi that have been kept indoor, but that usually takes place within the first few weeks after purchase

Ask a Question