Where can I put in a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
corgi-mom-jpeg.143621

Hello, everyone. I won the November Photo of the Month. Thank you for that. I've been reading more about bog filtration. Where would you propose I put it? And how big does it need to be? That's always been my issue. The top of the stream ends at the big pine tree on top of the hill. Not much sun there. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like you have space in the upper right corner of your pic for a bog adjacent to the pond, waterfalling back into the pond. Maybe post pics from all angles to see all sides? Anywhere adjacent to the pond is good. You can fill the bog with plants and it will look like part of your landscaping. I would not want to disturb the area to the left of the stream due to the beautiful mature plants. What is to the left of that? You could also have a bog anywhere along the stream, feeding into the stream if the areas closer to the pond are not possible. Beautiful pond!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thank you! On the far left end of the pond that is not in the picture is my lawn. Then a large shrub to the left of that. So I would need to leave that area open to walk through. Looking at it now, I think to the left of the flat part of pond would be ideal. The plants there now are easily moved - most of them are dahlias or annuals which I could move. You are correct that to the left of the stream would be difficult. I could expand my garden to accommodate my dahlia obsession. Uh oh....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your bog can be located anywhere it is convenient to have the water sent to it and return to the pond without any risk of losing water.
The closer to the pond, the better. Right next to the pond would be easier/better on all counts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you're a gardener; think of it like that--a raised garden that is wet all the time! You can berm it up and blend it into the rest of your yard, INCLUDING putting your dahlias and cannas right in back of the bog; they'd make a nice visual when looking at your pond from the direction of your pic!

smilie-sword-twirl-oppo.gif

don't mind the backwards twirly; it's all Mmathis' fault! Or, I entered 'opposite world'!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first things to consider is where is the house and your viewing areas and secondly do you want the bog as a upclose show piece and requiring its own power source or do you want the same power running the pond now to feed the bog fall out of the bog into your stream and flow to the pond ? That's the way I would lean being the second. Here's a quick idea I'm assuming the house is on the right side of the picture
Screenshot_20211128-042659_Gallery.jpg

Ask a Question