Where do baby coconuts come from?

Reaction score
Now that we are here, we can see this. A large spear shaped pod emerges from the tree, then bursts open into a flower. At first, it resembles an ear of corn, then the petals of the flower open. As they are pollinated, small coconuts appear…

coconuts1004_zps9f6c3f19.jpg

As the coconuts mature, the rest of the flowers wilt into spiny structures that support the growing coconuts, like so….

coconuts1006_zps52bcbaf3.jpg

Just about the time these young coconuts are growing, the older ones mature, turn brown, then fall off. New flowers appear and the cycle begins again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks for sharing that info Bullfrog. What other kinds of free picking foods are there out there in the wild to eat?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow don't look up .That is a neat pic I have never seen anything like that .look at all those yummy coconuts

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
same way in Puerto Rico when i went there were bananas growing every where and fruit just about any where you look .A friend Hiram moved back there after he retired from Ford to live near family .I could live for free . :razz:

Ask a Question