Where is the leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For several weeks now my gold fish pond has been losing about an inch of water on a daily basis. I needed to go away so decided to top the pond up to keep the fish safe. Since returning some three days ago, the water level has remained Constanta due doesn’t appear to be losing significantly like before. Just some evaporation from the sun. What am I missing here I can’t work it out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for this link but it was not water evaporation. It was dropping way too quickly. It’s losing slowly now but it’s a scorcher today and it’s dropping by a minimal amount. It’s strange as we’ve had the pond for over 7 years and never had this issue before. It’s a quality liner in an old rectangular concrete shell which was built decades ago. There is a drainage hole beneath the liner in the centre of the old concrete base. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For several weeks now my gold fish pond has been losing about an inch of water on a daily basis. I needed to go away so decided to top the pond up to keep the fish safe. Since returning some three days ago, the water level has remained Constanta due doesn’t appear to be losing significantly like before. Just some evaporation from the sun. What am I missing here I can’t work it out?
oh man, when I saw your title all I could think of was 'is this a new pond game I need to learn?? Where's Waldo has nothing on this one..!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond’s dimensions are 6 metres x 2 metres x 90 cms deep . The lining sits in the concrete frame which we had professionally fully lined 7 years ago . This is the first year we have noticed such a significant drop in depth ( approx 40 cms over about 10 days). We did introduce more planting in last year . We topped it right up before going away and strangely returned to minimal water loss . Since last Thursday it’s only lost about 2 cms . It’s very strange .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626723020363.gif
and welcome @Fishfanatic
Very strange on your water loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ha! Loving your sense of humour or is it my lack of tact. Nor sure which.
You're 'intact', no problem on your end; surely it's on me!

Now, with most leaks, we tend to look toward a waterfall first as that's where most issues lie. But you CAN lose a fair amount of water daily if you've been experiencing high winds or heat. Both can do just what you're suggesting. So, was there a weather shift from then to now that would account for earlier loss but stable water height now?

Too, plants can take up the water and if you're heavily planted, that might be it (along with the above evaporation). I'd just monitor and watch for it to happen again, noting the conditions, etc. I've filled my pond up semi-regularly depending on the season. If you have a lot of open surface area, you'll get more evaporation.

Also, got any thirsty dogs near you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You're 'intact', no problem on your end; surely it's on me!

Now, with most leaks, we tend to look toward a waterfall first as that's where most issues lie. But you CAN lose a fair amount of water daily if you've been experiencing high winds or heat. Both can do just what you're suggesting. So, was there a weather shift from then to now that would account for earlier loss but stable water height now?

Too, plants can take up the water and if you're heavily planted, that might be it (along with the above evaporation). I'd just monitor and watch for it to happen again, noting the conditions, etc. I've filled my pond up semi-regularly depending on the season. If you have a lot of open surface area, you'll get more evaporation.

Also, got any thirsty dogs near you?
Will definitely monitor it . No dogs but foxes live in our garden and next door and last evening whilst sitting in garden a badger visited us and had a drink from another pond further up the garden . Can’t believe how lucky we are with wildlife in Greater London. I do live right next to woodland though .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A leak would be consistent. A variable loss would be more likely wind, temperature, humidity, etc... essentially something variable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
could also be just a minor leak in the plumbing or even in the make of the pond. shut everything down watch your fish for lack of o2 and see where the water level stops dropping That is where your leak will be

Ask a Question