Where to 1.5 in irrigation tubing

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might want to start out with 500' and see how that goes. You can always add more later. The quantity of 7000 is an estimate based on the speed that my gardener was cutting them for me. It could be less.

Reaction score
Since 500' of this will not completely fill a 55 gallon barrel, I have to assume that there will be a lot of dead space with not filtration material between the bottom grate that I use and the area where I will have the PVC pipe that will take the water back to the pond.

Fair assumption?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Re: Where to get .5 in irrigation tubing

Keep in mind that the bottom chamber is about 12" high, The cut tubes will not be any higher than your overflow, and they will float. Even if they do not completly fill that space, the object is to get enough surface area for the bacteria to grow and enough interference so the solids will settle.

Reaction score
why don't you just buy strapping on ebay? It will more easily fill a barrel and sure as heck be a heap less work. I can't imagine sitting there cutting 7000 pieces of pvc. Plus, that sure as heck is gonna be heavy when you're trying to get it out of the barrel for a good cleaning.

Strapping will be way easier to hose off, too, for cleaning. If you get crud in the pvc tubes, that ain't gonna be easy to keep clean.

Just my little ol' opinion, but you should be able to do better than that. And for less money and effort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree!
koikeepr said:
why don't you just buy strapping on ebay? It will more easily fill a barrel and sure as heck be a heap less work. I can't imagine sitting there cutting 7000 pieces of pvc. Plus, that sure as heck is gonna be heavy when you're trying to get it out of the barrel for a good cleaning.

Strapping will be way easier to hose off, too, for cleaning. If you get crud in the pvc tubes, that ain't gonna be easy to keep clean.

Just my little ol' opinion, but you should be able to do better than that. And for less money and effort.

Reaction score
I think strapping is also a better bio media overall because of the little divits it has. Great place for the bacteria to hang onto.

Plus just unroll it and stuff it in a bag and in your barrel it goes. I can't imagine sawing pvc to fill a barrel. Give it a good shake on the ground to clear the crud and back in it goes.

Ask a Question