WHERE TO BUY/ORDER BULK ACTIVATED CARBON?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The spring rains have again pulled "tannins" a from my turtle fencing and it's back to cola-colored! After a quickie visit to PetSmart today, I came home with about 4 lbs. of AC for about $20.00 (or so it seemed). Surely it's not really THAT expensive! Any ideas where I can buy some in bulk?

Reaction score
I cant imagine using carbon in a pond. I buy the API carbon for the fish tanks ... instructions are half cup per 10 gallons ... Not too bad in a small tank, but even for my 55 gallon tank it's supposed to be 2 3/4 cups .... I have 4 filters on the 55, and cant get that amount in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I used to bulk buy here in the UK, I found it best to approach the company's that make the activated carbon rather than buy from a fish shop who nines out of ten bulk buy theirs then bag it up in differebt weights to maximise their profits ,
So in effect you are cutting out the middle man buy going to the company's that make it
Here is a link to a number of US sites :-

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/activated-carbon-10660207-1.html

Hope it helps if you cant afford the asking price then a number of you could get together to buy a sack

rgrds

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy from petmountain .com acurel economy bag 3 lbs under 5 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
farm store here used to sell it and asked several times for them to bring it back 25 lb bag was 12 dollars and they would have it on sale and you could get it for 9 dollars

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
capewind said:
I cant imagine using carbon in a pond. I buy the API carbon for the fish tanks ... instructions are half cup per 10 gallons ... Not too bad in a small tank, but even for my 55 gallon tank it's supposed to be 2 3/4 cups .... I have 4 filters on the 55, and cant get that amount in there.
CW -- found this out last year with my brand new pond when my water turned cola-colored, presumably from the tannins in the cedar fence pickets I use to fence in my box turtles. The fencing usually doesn't come in contact with the water, but after a hard, soaking rain, there is enough contact to leech the tannins from the wood. The activated carbon [I guess] binds with the chemical and pulls it out of the water. I put the AC in a laundry lingere bag and put it in my Skippy for a few weeks, or until the water looks better. This is only the 2nd time it's happened, but I hate having to grab up all this over-priced AC that's packaged for aquarium use.

And to everyone else, thanks for the suggestions!

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
This is only the 2nd time it's happened, but I hate having to grab up all this over-priced AC that's packaged for aquarium use.
AC is great in a fish tank, just thinking of the volume needed in a pond LOL.

How big is your pond? and how much are you using just to pull the tannin out?

Reaction score
I have had a very good experience with activated carbon. Like John Huff said, Amazon.com is the place. The price per pound of small packages of AC is RIDICULOUS!. The 52lb of Loving Pets carbon is the best deal that I have found. I received my carbon 2 weeks ago. My pond water is crystal clear. I havent tried to price the bulk carbon from the mfr like Dave 54 suggests. I'm sure I will when I run out though. Thanks Dave 54.

Reaction score
Just for the sake of discussion and interest:

One gram of activated carbon (or charcoal) may have anywhere from 500 to 1,000 square meters of surface area available to absorb specific elements, chemicals or compounds.
This works out to 2,441,255 to 4,882,510 square feet per pound! Unfortunately, once used, it is done.

Natural Zeolite has roughly 25 square meters of surface area per gram (equivalent to 122,063 square feet per pound) but zeolite costs about $0.10 per pound and with a simple salt brine soak and then a clean water rinse, it is rejuvinated and ready to be used again.

Catfishnut

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
zeolite you can buy at tractor supply as it is used as a horse stall refresher .They call it PDZ .Same thing and cheap .Any farm store will carry it .I buy the big bag also for my pond .I don't refresh it after using I throw it in my veggie garden .

Reaction score
sissy said:
zeolite you can buy at tractor supply as it is used as a horse stall refresher .They call it PDZ .Same thing and cheap .Any farm store will carry it .I buy the big bag also for my pond .I don't refresh it after using I throw it in my veggie garden .
That is what I would buy instead of Activated Carbon or charcoal. Zeolite has a strong affinity for absorbing ammonia ions, so it is really good for polishing post the bio-conversion process. It does just about everything that AC does, maybe more, and it can be rejuvenated if desired. Since it is so cheap and readily available in bulk, it beats out activated carbon in my thinking. I bought my zeolite direct from the mine (Bear River Mine in Preston, Idaho). Thanks Sissy for the TSC reference, now I know where to go to just get a bag! WooHoo! :)

Catfishnut

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have some zeolite. I'll have to give it a try. Water was JUST starting to look better, before we got another 2 days of rain....

Ask a Question