Where to buy pond plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I live in the mountains of Arizona. My pond re-work will be done in a couple days. Looking for recommendations on where to buy (online or travel a couple hours to Phoenix) oxygenating plants (for pots, not floating) that can be puchased/shipped this time of year. Thx.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I use a couple of plant nursery websites, but now might not be a good time to ship to AZ.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm looking forward to seeing how the re-do comes out!

And just a note that the term "oxygenating" is kind of misleading - all plants are oxygenating... during the day. At night, they consume oxygen.

Maybe you mean underwater plants? If so, I've seen them sold at pet stores intended for tanks. They would be small, but once established they'll grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Check out your local garden centers. There are a lot of them that sell water plants, plus a lot of "normal" plants are quite suitable in your pond.

Most plants will help oxygenate and even help filter your water as long as their roots have direct contact with the water. Try not to use pots which will restrict direct contact. Try fixing them directly in between rocks or use mesh planters or mesh bags.

We're not in a warm climate, but every Spring we do buy some tropical plants that keep until Fall. Many of them are sold in the local nursery or garden center.
We get Umbrella Plants or Papyrus which I plant in the bog and directly in the edges of the pond. Parrot's Feather is another. They can be planted or just thrown into the water.

You did mention not wanting floating plants, but they are very beneficial. They help filter the water and provide a good form of shade. Since you are in Arizona, you might want to block some of that intense sun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check out your local garden centers. There are a lot of them that sell water plants, plus a lot of "normal" plants are quite suitable in your pond.
@poconojoe is absolutely right. Check both the aquatic and the terrestrial plant sections to compare the prices. One garden center I used to frequent sold many of the same plants in both areas. But the price was higher aquatic section for the same plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States

And just a note that the term "oxygenating" is kind of misleading - all plants are oxygenating... during the day. At night, they consume oxygen.

Maybe you mean underwater plants? If so, I've seen them sold at pet stores intended for tanks. They would be small, but once established they'll grow.
I bought some aquarium plants from the local pet store in summer. They are in the holding tank with the fish. Since the water temp has been very cold, they aren't doing well. Because the fish eat off them, I may add them back to the new pond until I can figure out what (and where) to get new plants. The re-do is done, the water is very cloudy. I should have been adamant that they fill it a bit and keep pumping it until the water was clear instead of filling it with 500 gallons of water that may take weeks (or never?) clear. I'm going to wait a week and see what it looks like. I'd hate to drain it, keep cleaning, and then re-fill - so much wasted water in the desert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
@poconojoe is absolutely right. Check both the aquatic and the terrestrial plant sections to compare the prices. One garden center I used to frequent sold many of the same plants in both areas. But the price was higher aquatic section for the same plants!
I live in a rural area, the local nurseries don't sell water plants. HD and Lowe's don't sell anything except tropical type plants only sometimes. The closest retail pond stores are a minimum two hour drive. Since they are in southern AZ they have mostly plants that do well in the heat of summer and warmth of winter - no snow/freezing temps for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States

Attachments

• Day 3 pond remodel  (7).jpg
    Day 3 pond remodel (7).jpg
    255 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh it looks great! It is indeed very cloudy... is that cement dust? The milky color is unusual.

No need to drain and refill though. Your filter material may not be fine enough to catch the dust (if that's what it is) so you may want to rig up a filter with some quilt batting. It wouldn't be too hard to stick a basket of batting under your waterfall and just let the water flow through it. You'll have to change or clean the quilt batting, but you can buy a large bag of it for under $20 at a craft store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Oh it looks great! It is indeed very cloudy... is that cement dust? The milky color is unusual.

No need to drain and refill though. Your filter material may not be fine enough to catch the dust (if that's what it is) so you may want to rig up a filter with some quilt batting. It wouldn't be too hard to stick a basket of batting under your waterfall and just let the water flow through it. You'll have to change or clean the quilt batting, but you can buy a large bag of it for under $20 at a craft store.
Yes, I think it is cement dust. They used cement under the flagstone along the rim. I asked them to add water and keep pumping out until it was clear. I should have monitored it better to make sure that was done. I will go out to Joann Fabrics or the local quilt store and get some batting to add to the filter box and rig up some under the water fall. I'll probably need to replace it a couple times a day. I'm also going to call the pond contractor Monday to see if he has any other suggestions. Thankfully my fish are happy in the 100 gallon stock tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
This a pic on day 2 with the stacked rock they used on the sides. I originally wanted cement but think this looks a lot better above the water line. Already one raccoon came on day 2, saw the deep hole and walked away. I think this solves that problem. They will probably still root around in the top of the waterfall and my flower/vegetable beds, but I can't completely control mother nature. I wanted to put a bog filter at the top of the waterfall but knew the raccoons would destroy it. Now I need to decide what plants to order for summer - any recommendations now that the pool is about 6 1/2' in diameter and 3' deep? I don't put in floaters because they get sucked in to the pump/filter box and I don't want to get corrals for them so I prefer plants that will grow in to the side rocks and pots.

Attachments

• Day 2 pond remodel photo.jpg
    Day 2 pond remodel photo.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, I'd be a little annoyed if they left my pond that cloudy. Rock dust will settle, but not so sure how long it would take to clear the cement dust.

Plants will be a unique challenge in a pond with no shelves... at least I assume there are no shelves. However I see some spots where you would be able to tuck plants between rocks - they may need to be placed horizontally, but they will naturally grow upright.

Bog bean would work - it just needs an anchoring spot and then will grow across the pond.

You could also do some miniature cattails or some type of reed, but I think you want to figure out where your best viewing spot is and keep the plants along that edge low. Use the taller plants across from your viewing area.

I'd plant something in the waterfall rocks too, to soften that area up a bit. Some watercress would work - it's a great filter - or some impatiens (an annual but they are inexpensive to plant fresh every year).

A beautiful lily in the center would be lovely - they don't do much for filtering but it would provide shade and shelter for your fish.

And I wouldn't give up on the idea of planting your filter box - I've seen folks drop in a potted canna or a papyrus. Something that's already got a good start. Maybe they wouldn't bother a full sized plant.

Raccoons are the worst - we call them trash pandas. They are so destructive and persistent. We had one that took up residence in our trash can. Scared the you-know-what out of me one night when I went to toss a bag of trash in the can! We started spraying the can with anything we could think of that would be irritating or annoying - hot pepper sauce, peppermint oil, garlic oil, onion juice - after a few days of that, the darn thing finally got the message!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd be a little annoyed if they left my pond that cloudy. Rock dust will settle, but not so sure how long it would take to clear the cement dust.

Plants will be a unique challenge in a pond with no shelves... at least I assume there are no shelves. However I see some spots where you would be able to tuck plants between rocks - they may need to be placed horizontally, but they will naturally grow upright.

Bog bean would work - it just needs an anchoring spot and then will grow across the pond.

You could also do some miniature cattails or some type of reed, but I think you want to figure out where your best viewing spot is and keep the plants along that edge low. Use the taller plants across from your viewing area.

I'd plant something in the waterfall rocks too, to soften that area up a bit. Some watercress would work - it's a great filter - or some impatiens (an annual but they are inexpensive to plant fresh every year).

A beautiful lily in the center would be lovely - they don't do much for filtering but it would provide shade and shelter for your fish.

And I wouldn't give up on the idea of planting your filter box - I've seen folks drop in a potted canna or a papyrus. Something that's already got a good start. Maybe they wouldn't bother a full sized plant.

Raccoons are the worst - we call them trash pandas. They are so destructive and persistent. We had one that took up residence in our trash can. Scared the you-know-what out of me one night when I went to toss a bag of trash in the can! We started spraying the can with anything we could think of that would be irritating or annoying - hot pepper sauce, peppermint oil, garlic oil, onion juice - after a few days of that, the darn thing finally got the message!

Ask a Question